Overheating and rough idle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

Reaction score
My 05 Sport Trac has a leak in the radiator. I've just been filling it back up every so often. The other day I forgot to add water and it overheated. I heard the valves ticking but for no longer than 5 or 10 seconds before I shut it off. I filled it back up and it's running rough. Trying to figure out why.

Let's review.
~ Known leaky radiator, not replaced\repaired.
~ Frequently refilling coolant\water & continued driving until engine severely overheats.
~ Now running rough with possible blown gaskets, cracked heads?
How much money\effort saved by not replacing a leaky radiator, versus
how much money\effort needed to rebuild\replace an engine or vehicle?
Have I missed anything here?
Do you have oil in coolant, or coolant in oil?
Can try a compression test, but don't sound good.

Last edited:
Yes, it's called money. The reason it was running rough turned out to be a fuel sensor. Runs well now. Thanks for that useful reply Dillard.

That's good news.
Now get that leaky radiator replaced ASAP. $200~$300 in parts if you do it yourself.

Dillard was just saying what's apparent. If you neglect the cooling or lubrication system of your motor, you're going to have a bad time. Luckily, it sounds like you dodged a bullet. But, it was the truck gods telling you that you need to take better care of your motor! :)

That's good news.
Now get that leaky radiator replaced ASAP. $200~$300 in parts if you do it yourself.
Less than that actually... there's a radiator on RA for less than $90.

Well I might need to hear about the available radiator. My '06 Explorer is making a really weird sound; like steam blown by a reed. I popped the hood, and am seeing what looks like a cap blowing some stuff by, and the reservoir was low. Don't yet know why (bad cap, leak in rad, bad thermostat?) Regardless, pretty sure the '06 V-6 is having some cooling issues. I don't think the 4.0 V-6 is dying/dead yet, but don't like that it's trying to heat up on me. Any ideas (that I didn't already, smugly, say above?) :)

Prime suspect, responsible for ~75% of Coolant leaks on V6~4.0L~SOHCs, would be the
~ Plastic ThermoStat Housing.
Secondary suspects would be
~ Bad\Old RadiatorCap
~ PlasticTanked Radiator
~ Plastic HeaterControlValve
~ Plastic HoseTees
~ Rubber Hoses
~ WaterPump
~ HeaterCore
Maybe time for a Coolant system makeover?

Latest posts