Overheating...Ughhh HELP..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob chaw

Reaction score
Just noticed/smelled a overheating problem.:angry:

My Check Engine light came on 2 days ago.( thought it was the gas cap again.) but after smelling something like oerheating i looked under the hood. It felt a little hotter than usual. While looking inside the engine bay area. I noticed the TOP radiator Hose is Swelled up... and HOT... but not the bottom one (at least not as bad. nor as HOT.) ...

The temperature gauge on the dash reads normal...

Could it be the thermostat? or the waterpump? nothing is leaking from the bottom.

I have changed the thermostat once before.(maybe 25,000 to 30,000 miles ago. but haven't gone into changing a waterpump on a ford)

Any help/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

2001 ST job 2.

rob

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Gauge is not reading hot, I would think it is just a bad hose... Change the hose and top off the coolant and re run the engine.....

IT could be a bad or dirty rad cap too..

Todd Z

I hear what you are saying todd (thank for such a quick reply), but the hose is HOTand HARD after running the engine. (not that i am doubting you but it seems more than just a hose). I will try that first i guess.. Any info is better than nothing...

thanks again, I'll keep ya posted,

rob

I took it as the hose is swollen past the normal point...

If not It sounds like a stat issue, Clogged radiator or bad pump..

Todd Z

if the radiator hose is hard to the point you cannot squeeze it any, needs to be replaced as its fixin' to split/burst on you in the near future,

Yes hose is swollen past the normal range.. and HOT...

OK the truck cooled down some..

I opened the radiator cap. Coolant looks green.

Squeezed the hoses both top and bottom with the cap off and the coolant moves throughout..

So i'm off the the auto part shop to get NEW HOSES, a Thermostat and some coolant.

thanks again todd z and jimp,

rob

i'll be back... and keep ya's posted...

Thank you both todd z and jimp.

i hope what i did fixed my overheating problem.

I'll find out later tongiht or tomorrow...

It still smells of the coolant on the engine. so really can't tell now...

Heres a pic of the suplies.

[Broken External Image]:

and it all getting put on.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

thanks again,

rob