Overlanding Mods + Vehicle life

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an 04' 4.0 with 4x4 and I enjoyed overlanding in my 20' Jeep wrangler. I would like to be able to do the same with this truck as I really love the sport trac. I have been looking around but cannot find a good option. I want more clearance for overlanding but I do not want to wear out my U-joints on the front end or mess up my torsion keys.

I am looking for a 2-3" lift and I am leaning towards a suspension lift for practicality. I am leaning away from torsion twists on the front as I have heard I should get a real lift if I do any off-roading. I have heard ford ranger spindle lifts bolt up and are a good fit for the front, but at that point, I would be worried about my CV joints. Is there an option to upgrade those?

There are plenty of lifts for the rear end that I don't think will hurt my vehicle in the long run (correct me if I am wrong).

Overall, I am looking for a suspension lift/ bigger tire combo that will give me some body/frame clearance without making me replace front CV's every 30k miles, or snap will I am going up a hill. I have the ability to fabricate my own parts for the most part. Tig welder, plasma cut services, lathe, but no mill.

I am welcome to any advice at all, even if someone wants to convince me to just body lift.

Susp. lift is the way to go, but finding one not so much, the trac does great off road. i was going to do a body on a different trac as i have done on jeeps and shackles.that would be way cheaper and allow for bigger more aggressive tires.i think it comes down to where are ya wheeling. rocks or more mud or desert... i like a wide tire but mud more skinny, where most of my issues were was rubbing with 12.5 not the clearance but i have a 4 inch susp. lift. most body lifts are 3. they look good on tracs and not so much frame as my jeep had with body lift.

Latest posts