P0128 code

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

860johnjohn

Reaction score
Hi peeps, check engine came on and this code showed up. Code says low coolant level, checked coolant and it's good. Has anyone had this code before? Thank you

IT might be low Temperature... There is no level sensor in the ST...…

Probably time for a new t stat and coolant flush.... ALSO change the plastic housing for an aluminum now to eliminate it blowing up later....

Yes I sell the aluminum, but this is not for a sale... they break...

p0128 coolant temp below regulating value. Basically the thermostats of newer vehicles are designed to "stick" open when they fail. When that happens the engine will not get to normal operating temperature, which in turn will cause the p0128 fault. Take a REALLY GOOD look at the thermostat housing. They have a tendency to leak slightly. When that happens the retaining bolts will be constantly soaked in coolant/water. Which will cause the bolts to deteriorate and break. It's best to replace the thermostat housing as a unit. Also replace all the hoses that attach to the housing itself. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not terribly difficult. Maybe time consuming. Here's a tip. Remove the alternator and the alternator bracket, a few 13mm and 15mm bolts, take it out of the engine bay and you'll have plenty of room..

Probably time for a new t stat and coolant flush.... ALSO change the plastic housing for an aluminum now to eliminate it blowing up later....

Thank you

Thanks so much! I appreciate it
p0128 coolant temp below regulating value. Basically the thermostats of newer vehicles are designed to "stick" open when they fail. When that happens the engine will not get to normal operating temperature, which in turn will cause the p0128 fault. Take a REALLY GOOD look at the thermostat housing. They have a tendency to leak slightly. When that happens the retaining bolts will be constantly soaked in coolant/water. Which will cause the bolts to deteriorate and break. It's best to replace the thermostat housing as a unit. Also replace all the hoses that attach to the housing itself. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not terribly difficult. Maybe time consuming. Here's a tip. Remove the alternator and the alternator bracket, a few 13mm and 15mm bolts, take it out of the engine bay and you'll have plenty of room..

Send me a link or how do we go about to purchase a aluminum 1?

The aluminum thermostat housing isn't any better than the plastic housing. Dorman makes a t-stat housing that works perfectly fine. It's a complete unit. I would recommend replacing the 3 75mm long bolts that hold the housing in place. Use anti-seize on the bolts and Ultra-gray gasket maker on the bottom of the housing, around the rubber gasket. Just a small amount.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...xplorer-sport-trac?q=thermostat+housing&pos=6

The aluminum thermostat housing isn't any better than the plastic housing. Dorman makes a t-stat housing that works perfectly fine. It's a complete unit. I would recommend replacing the 3 75mm long bolts that hold the housing in place. Use anti-seize on the bolts and Ultra-gray gasket maker on the bottom of the housing, around the rubber gasket. Just a s

The aluminum thermostat housing isn't any better than the plastic housing. Dorman makes a t-stat housing that works perfectly fine. It's a complete unit. I would recommend replacing the 3 75mm long bolts that hold the housing in place. Use anti-seize on the bolts and Ultra-gray gasket maker on the bottom of the housing, around the rubber gasket. Just a small amount.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...xplorer-sport-trac?q=thermostat+housing&pos=6
Thanks

Latest posts