P0402 EGR Excessive Flow, anyone else get this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Usually, I read that people have "insuffecient flow". I loaded my stock tune from my XCal since it's being serviced at the dealer next week, and I got the CEL. Went to autozone where my neighbor works, and she said it's EGR, excessive flow. Is this gonna be the DPFE sensor or whatever? Just curious cause I'd never read about anyone having excessive flow before. Also, is there an extended warranty on these parts? I'm at 69,650 right now. Oh, I also have the 100k $0 deductible ESP.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, dpfe...

Todd Z

Aight, thanks Todd. I found the TSB, typed down the code, printed out the TSB, and it's in my glove box ready for the dealer; I wonder what the reaction will be when I whip that out after they try and tell me it's due to my aftermarket intake, exhaust, etc, etc.

Jeff,

Yep, do a search on DPFE Sensor. P0402 & P0401 codes indicated "Too little" or "Too much" EGR gas flow. Probably 99.9% of those errors are caused by a defective DPFE (Differencial Pressure Feedback EGR) sensor. It monitor how much Exhaust Gas is Recirculated back into the inake to reduce emissions.

...Rich

Thanks Rich. I just found it wierd that it was "excessive flow" since all I seem to read about on here is "insuffecient flow".

I too have had those codes, along with 02 sensors and such, and replaced both the DPFE and the elbow hose and I still got the same or different codes each time. I have an 01 and the last $99 I spent for a diagnosis the dealer said that it was due to bad o-rings under the intake thingy (?????0 which I am not sure since I kept getting different codes as to the problem. Maybe the dealer wants me to pony up $370 to fix it. ToddZ gave me a syptom finder as to the leak which I have tried, but it was not conclusive enough due to the air flow coming from the engine area while it was running. I DIGRESS AS TO THE EASY FIXES, THEY DID NOT WORK FOR MY 01! Not that they wouldn't have, but my problem probably goes deeper than that. I am getting that $370 together to fix it.....if that is it!

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::wacko: