P0442 code and elbow hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Greubel

Reaction score
After hitting a pothole about 2 months ago my check engine light came on immediately. The code that is showing up is P0442. I've searched the message board and checked out everything I can find with no luck yet. While doing this I found that I have a small crack in the elbow hose that seems to be fairly common. My question is does anyone think the crack in this hose could be related to the P0442 code? I haven't seen it come up in previous posts, but thought it was worth asking about.

Thanks

A jar to the ST such as a pothole would indicate to me that a vent / evap hose came loose. My guess would be one of the hoses / lines leading itno the evap box just above the spare tire. There is a "U" shaped hose connecting to the forward (2) ports of the box, but I wouldn't suspect it since it is a plyable rubber hose. I'd check out the rear (2) connection into the box. Especially the hard ridgid plastic one on the passenger side of the box.

The are (4) connections (nipples) into the box. Each one is sealed by an "O" ring. If one of those became dis-lodged from the box, there is NO WAY to get it to seal again since the "O"ring should be on the inside of the box.

In my experience, the only way to re-seal the connector / nipple once dis-lodged, is to wrap the connection in some type of seal. Whether Plastidip or a plyable weather type wrap applied to the whole area.

Of course, before you do that, look at ALL of the vent lines to see if one obviously un-connected