Paint/Bumpers only covered 12 mos/12k miles?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Mulhern

Reaction score
I had the truck at the dealer today for some concerns, not able to be duplicated was the result but I was told the bumper and paint is only covered for 12 months/12k miles.

The bumper is 'frosting' as the service manager said, which leaves me to believe this is nothing new, and I was told Ford doesn't do anything after the first year for many reasons. Has anyone else run into this? I tried to search but didn't find too much info on this topic.

Thanks,

Marc

just got off the phone with Ford...they stated the policy the dealership did and said I can call back and register a complaint if I am not satisfied. I was missing some info so I couldn't do it while on the phone.

Anyone else have success with this?

Marc

Perhaps the paint is coming off because you were negligent. Did you leave it in the rain?

Give me a break. How can Ford pretend they don't know about their bad paint? We see several posts a month about this problem. :angry:

I think I was told that the paint is covered 12/12..Get the the distric manager involved, if your trac is still fairly low milage you might have a case. I have had a few friends win a case on thier ford paint..

edit; I notice your trac is 3 years old. You will have an uphill battle, good luck..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
It really doesn't matter if Ford knows about the paint frosting. They only warranty the paint for 3 years. And the bumper is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, it's just the paint on the bumper that's not covered.

Most good dealers would take care of issues like that and not charge the customer.

I think Ford has been bleeding so much money over the past 3 years that they have tightened the belt on the dealers and what they will allow as a courtesy repair. And if Ford will not pony up with some of the money, the dealership cannot afford to do those things at their own expense.

...Rich

I am going to call the service manager tomorrow and see if we can talk about it. I can see if it was my fault or the environment if all of the cladding was going bad but it's just the rear bumper.

I have a funny feeling he won't care what I have to say but I will try to kill him with kindness.

Thanks for your input everyone and hope you had a nice weekend.

Marc

I do lemon law abitrations. The manufacturer will always argue "environmental causes", (which doesn't seem logical to me, because the vehicle is supposed to be kept/operated outside). I usually rule in favor of the owners unless the manufacturer can give compelling evidence that the defect was caused by customer abuse.

Richard is right--three years is really stretching it. I doubt that you will have any luck getting them to cover it after three years. However, if they cover the fading/peeling leather steering wheels and the peeling radio bezels regularly after three years, they really ought to cover this one too.