Paint issues anyone? What do you think about this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napierjohn

Reaction score
Just got this truck and it has paint issues. I really don't know the history of the truck and the seller sure wasn't going to tell me anything I could trust. He owned it for 3 months before selling it. He swore the paint issues (paint peeling down to the metal on the front fenders and the lower half of both front doors) were from the factory. I didn't believe him as first, though, I see paint also peeling on the upper engine bay lip where the hood meets the fenders on this truck and I found the same peeling same location on a 2005 ST in the junkyard.
Some questions I have for members are:
Is that common?
Is that a factory paint issue?
If a factory paint issue, would that mean if I had the truck painted, would the original paint (now underneath the new) still peel away?

The peeling seems localized and on the same area of both sides of the truck. It makes me wonder if at the factory the painting robot / method missed shooting primer in those areas - considering that the location and panel shape at the peeling locations. There is a tiny ding on the cab that has a chunk of paint missing, too.

The hood color is slightly different than the rest of the truck - weird.

I am considering a full body paint with bumpers and trim / rails removed and painted black. Thinking about using the most brilliant white I can find (Ford Super Performance White, GM Artic White, and Toyota Super White 040 are contenders). Most likely won't paint inside the doors if the color difference isn't very noticable.

Your knowledgeable thoughts will be well appreciated.

Attachments

• ST_driverDoorPaintIssue.jpg
    ST_driverDoorPaintIssue.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 40
  • ST_passengerSidePaintIssues.jpg
    ST_passengerSidePaintIssues.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 40
  • ST_passengerSidePaintIssuesClose.jpg
    ST_passengerSidePaintIssuesClose.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 43
Yes, it's common. Ford doesn't have a good painting track record. I believe there was even a recall issued for some newer models because of this exact thing.
It's happening on my truck and my plan is to grind and sand it all down, prep and seal it, then get it wrapped and hope it holds up.

Only a guess, the underlayment didn't have time to dry fully before painting. I had no idea there was so much to painting a vehicle.
After watching Roby Layton of Layton auto body in Utah (you-tube) I realize there is much to it. Get good information before going further.
Ed

Happened to me a bunch. On my '88 Bronco, 2001 Sport Trac, 2010 Sport Trac the paint peeled/flaked off the hood. I wet sand and all that then use touch-up paint and clear to redo it. I get the paint from here:
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
You need your paint code from the door jam tag. Just takes a little while to get it shipped to you. Its the real Basecoat / Clearcoat auto paint, not some Krylon bullshit spray paint. Hence the prices. It was an exact match on my ST's.

Like most projects, and for good results it's all about prepping. Most quality paint jobs or repairs involve 90% prepping and 10% actual painting. Funny how cooking is the same way. LOL