Paint Job/Clean Seats Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Garret

Reaction score
[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

that's the hood.

[Broken External Image]:

Whats the best way to clean this seat? I think i did that stain after going swimming and i wasnt all dryed off before I got in.

[Broken External Image]:

Thats a few scratches someone did.

what's the best way to get the hook and paint job back up to top condition? The truck looks great when washed but the hook always looks like that. seems someone waxed or washed it with soap and it dryed ? I honestly have no idea, i'd just like to get it fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a claybar on the hood. Not sure if that will help something that bad but it's worth a shot. It looks to me like that the clearcoat is gone. But if it is a "soap residue" then the claybar should remove it. The seat is another problem. As stated, looks to me like a bleach out. If it is a stain then try "Tough Stuff" that you can get at Wallyworld. That is what I usually use on stains in my ST.;)

Its tought to tell exactly whats wrong from the pictures. I would try a claybar and some cleaner, like meguiars scratch-x and then follow with a sealant. If the clearcoat is gone, there really isnt anything you can do.

well, let's say the clearcoat is gone, could i just take it to the dealership or someone to have the hood repainted and clearcoat reapplied to it? At the same time, they could repaint those scratches on the side as well.....would that work ?

Stonemiser,

http://magicgarage.biz/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=70

Is that the claybar you were talking about?

Try Resolve carpet cleaner in the spray/mist bottle on the seats. It's what I use on mine., and I've had good results. Of course, try it first on a part of the seat you don't normally see...

Like your ST, mine is exactly the same. 01? I found a great deal on new rims last year so I have upgraded to 16" alum.

The clay bar worked wonders on my paint, give it a shot and take your time. I often get my seat wet driving back from the neighborhood pool but have not had any fadeing like that occure. Maybe it's just a stain that you can get out.

War Eagle, yup, it's a 2001. Do places like Sam's or AutoZone/PepBoys sell the claybar? I'll start with the resolve carpet cleaner then try the tough stuff.

Ah perfect, ill stop by AutoZone and pick one up one the way home.

I'm gonna order me a set of wagner rotors, what the most recommended trusted online site for ordering parts from?

Vic, I got a Mothers claybar and it came with the spray detailer (you use it as lubrication for the claybar) and a small bottle of thier Carnuba Wax from Advance Auto for $17.99. It worked great. Very inpressed on what it did for my ST. Of course though mine wasn't in the condition of yours. I would go that route first since if it is that the clearcoat is gone then the whole hood would have to be stripped and repainted. I don't think they can just reclearcoat something. I may be wrong, but hopefully someone with some autobody experience can point you in the right direction if the claybar doesn't work. Good luck and if it works, post pics. (before and after);) (also could be a good write up);)

I got the high-res pictures of the hood as well. I'll give this a shot tonight and ill get some more pictures in the morning to compare the before and after.

Thanks for the help guys!

~VG

Just with the pictures you have, it looks like the clearcoat is dead.

A machine buffing with professional paste would be in order to get it back, and then there are no guarantees.

I think I would just pay and have everything professionally buffed, shampooed and reconditioned. Those guys know what they are doing and will probably be able to make it look brand new for at least a couple more years. Take it to a real detail shop, not one of these guys driving around in a van with a trailer.

Ditto what Me said...paint looks like it needs to be professionally buffed. Clay bar ( and I love them) isn't going to much, if anything for that.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone in the Roswell/Alpharetta area in Georgia that could recommend a place to take the truck to?

I decided on keeping the truck for a few more years so i want to get it back up to top shape.

i took the truck to a place and they said the hood had been repainted with a cheap paint, thats the cause of the fading.

Victor, please let us know what the hood repaint costs... I might need one at some point due to the dang paint spot cracking.

I have heard that if you repaint the hood, you should repaint the whole vehicle or it will never match up. Is this true?

Latest posts