painting a brand new truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Rogers

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of buying a brand new vehicle from the dealership and having it repainted a custom color right at the dealership bodyshop before even taking it home. I was considering buying a Sport Trac but I would prefer more of a unique color. Any idea what a dealer body shop would charge for a total paint job ? I think I would prefere to do it right at the dealership to keep the waranty thing all in one place. I wonder if I could work the cost of the paint job into my purchace deal ?

Any thoughts

You can always go and talk to them and see what they will do for you . Personally I have found places that do much better paint work than the dealership. You should look at some of their work before you decide if you want to use them.

If the paint is not something special, just a different color, you can probably get a decent job done by the dealer or any paint shop. Most good body shops are very familiar will the standard or conventioal paints used on older and modern cars. Typically to repaint a whole vehicle a new color will cost about $3k-$4k.

However, if you are looking for a truely custom paint job using a specialty paint like certain pearls, or color shifting paints, they are very expensive ($2k-$3k per gallon), so you want someone who has used the paint successfully in the past and guarantees their work. They should have samples of their work for you to see. Also, you don't want to just have someone paint over your old finsih. They may need to do some minor but expensive body work just to remove little waves or ripples in the body and make sure that all the panels are even, and flush or some of those paints can look like different colors were sprayed on different panels. The bottom line is, it's very expensive, typically costing $10k and up...even way way up.

...Rich

If looking for custom colors or design or multi custom colors. I would rather get references of custom shops. Dealers are not into doing much other than stock. A good custom shop should stand behind their work. The only part of the mew car warranty affected at the dealer will be the paint if a custom shop does it. Most all custom paint jobs you see on the dealer lot, was done by outside shops.

Latest posts