Painting cladding, need opinons on color

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Grant

Reaction score
I would like to paint my grey cladding. I have black 2001 ST. I was thinking of flat black. I don't want to match the vehicle finish. Any opinions. I have seen some that painted black, but had other body colors. Just wondering what you all think.

My preference would be gloss color matched with body. But if you prefer a flat color I think Arizona Beige (edit)or Pueblo Gold would look good with black, and then you can get fender flares painted to match. You'd have an 'Eddie Bauer' look going...

Last edited by a moderator:
Body color black... versus gray. I think body color looks better. Monotone, or monochromatic, IMO looks best. Otherwise a real contrast like black and silver or gold - but not flat black.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Could go black but more of a satin finish or a flat, IT still would be black, but give a little contrast.

Todd Z

Honestly we have 20,000 dollar trucks.. In my opinion if your going to spend that much on a truck you might as well do it right. I took the cladding of my truck myself took it into the body shop and got it painted. One of the best investments I ever made. Its been a year now and still no chips or problems with it. Im in the military so Im not exactly a baller. It cost me about $650 dollars I know everyone dont have that kinda money but like I said. I have a $20,000 truck Im not going to freaking spray paint my cladding. Good luck whatever you do.[Broken External Image]:

That looks sweet Chuck. Did they smooth the bumpers before painting? I found out from the dealer that the factory painted bumpers are different from the standard grey ones. The grey ones are textured (harder for paint to stick) and the "premium" ones are smooth.

Man, I dont know where you got your 20,000 dollar truck but mine cost closer to 30,000 when new & its got almost 40,000 in it since I've had it. Yep, I'd say do the job right.

With that said, I painted all my cladding while it was still on the truck using a pre-val bottle & buying my paint supplies at O'Reillys auto parts (Acrylic enamel paint, reducer & hardner)

It's held up for over 3 years[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Without question paint it Gloss Black. You wont be disappointed. Im thinking of doing the same with my Burgandy. My big concern is, Im wondering about chipping...If its painted does it chip easily. Let me know how yours comes out.

Bobby, you're not kiddin'. Within the last week or so I have replaced both outer tie rod ends, front wheel bearings, rear wheel bearings, total rear gear swap & had the tires re-balanced.

This coming week I am having the driveshaft balanced, new shocks & centramatic self balancers installed. Thats a total of around 1300 within 10 days. Most of this, If not all, is due to the lift & tire combo I use. I'm becoming a pro at replacing tie rod ends & front wheel bearings:)

She's a high maintenance toy for sure.

Ryan,

If you are planning on doing it yourself (on a budget), I would do it like the project that Tom R. did.

I like the semi-gloss/satin look.

I also like the gloss look (though it's harder to do right yourself).

I have a $20,000 truck Im not going to freaking spray paint my cladding.

Guess what?, the paint shop spray painted your cladding. ;)

Mine was closer to $30,000.00, and I didn't want the Gloss look so I opted for the Satin finish. For less than $35.00, it is still the best bang for the $$$ mod I have done. It's all in the preparation for painting, so yeah, I think I did mine right, it's still holding up well. It's been on mine for 2 years now with no problems other than some idiot getting careless with a shopping cart and tagging one of my fender flares.

[Broken External Image]:

I've been thinking about doing this since I got my ST. I was going to paint the front and rear to match the body color, and leave the side cladding grey to match the pinstripe.