Parking Brake Light Staying On

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross Newton

Reaction score
I have a 2004 2WD Sport Trac with 97,000 miles on it. Recently the parking brake light has been staying as I drive. It usually goes off, but will come back on when I have to brake hard. It was stay on for a while and then go back off. It's never done this before.

I always use my parking brake when I park the truck and lately it seems like it's not braking as much as it used to... so I was wondering if the light was an indicator that it needed to be serviced.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how much something like this costs to be serviced?

Also, anyone know a good place to look for teannueau covers (AKA the covers you can buy for the bed that lock shut). I was going to get one but the Ford Accessories website no longer lists 2004 vehicles.

Thanks!

Ross

Your LOW on brake fluid.......

BEFORE you add any check your brakes as low fluid can be sign of a problem...

Todd Z

I second what Todd said.

As the brakes wear down, more fluid is required to depress the caliper. Once the fluid gets too low in the master cylinder reservoir the parking brake light will illuminate.

Low fluid could simply mean it's time for a brake job. Check them out

While it is true that the parking brake is mechanical, the BRAKE light is multi-functional.
Brake system warning
Momentarily illuminates when the ignition is turned to the ON position to indicate a system check. Also
illuminates if the parking brake is engaged. If the brake warning lamp does not illuminate at these times, seek service immediately. Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected immediately.
There is a float in the master cylinder that closes a circuit that turns-on the BRAKE light when the fluid level in the master cylinder is low. Ideally, the fluid is low due to worn brake pads (and the fluid is in the calipers), but could be because of a leak (not ideal).

Latest posts