Partal Instrument Cluster Intermittant Failure & Intermitant Window Switch Failure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Homar

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have a 2004 Sport Trac. Just turned over 101K miles. I just started having an instrument cluster issue: Tach, speedo, temp gauge stop working, check engine light comes on, odometer becomes a series of dash lines. Starts working again, stops working, starts working again. Is there a definitive fix. Also, I have intermittent window function. Replaced the window switch module. No change. works, stops, works again. Looking for a definitive fix here too Any suggestions? Todd Z, perhaps you can weigh in on this? Thanks. AJH

There is a website that repairs or exchanges clusters. I will have to find it. Might just be a loose harness.

Steve,,thanks for posting the link. It must have been one I lost, when my computer crashed.
Eddie and Steve, thank you for your responses, this will make things much easier. I have has this 2004 Trac (a silver XLT) since new and want to continue its upkeep. It is well built and has been very reliable compare to a couple of GM trucks I own. Do either of you have any ideas regarding the intermittent window switches? Changed the switch module, still works sometimes and not others. Thanks. Andrew

Unfortunately the gauge cluster issue seems to be somewhat common with 2004-05 ST clusters with digital odometers. Knock on wood mine's still functioning properly. I did remove the cluster once to clean the lens without too much trouble. Recall seeing a project for cluster R&R. If you want I'll try searching for it. From reviews I've read turnaround time is very quick with CBM, usually just a few days from door to door.

Regarding your finicky windows, intermittent electrical issues are probably the LEAST desirable repairs for me. Broken wiring for locks and windows around the drivers door hinge are a known issue with these vehicles. Haven't had the window problem yet, but have replaced both front latches and three lock actuators so far. Keep posted and good luck.

Steve,,thanks for posting the link. It must have been one I lost, when my computer crashed.
Eddie and Steve, thank you for your responses, this will make things much easier. I have has this 2004 Trac (a silver XLT) since new and want to continue its upkeep. It is well built and has been very reliable compare to a couple of GM trucks I own. Do either of you have any ideas regarding the intermittent window switches? Changed the switch module, still works sometimes and not others. Thanks. Andrew

Steve, thank you again, yes, if you could find the R&R project that demonstrates the remove/replace procedure for the cluster that would be great. I don't want to damage anything in the process. I will contact and use the CBM service as suggested. With winter here, no need to drive with the windows open. I will save the window switch "broken wire" search for spring. While I am in the door, I guess that will be the time to figure out when the driver door keypad stopped working. Never used it since I always pushed the button on the key fob. But I recently locked myself out with the keys and fob inside the truck and even though I actually had the Ford issued code card in my wallet (from when I bought the truck new) the keypad did not work and a friend had to give me a lift home to get my spare key. But these are very small issues over almost 14 years of ownership, on road, off road and in all sorts of weather including deep snow. So I ain't complaining. I do very much appreciate your help, advice and insights. Andrew

Wow, easier said than done, at least on this forum. Maybe the project I saw here was just for 194 gauge cluster bulb replacement. As mentioned not too difficult to remove and reinstall the cluster, there are just MANY small (8mm) screws to keep track of. Anyway, I found these tutorials on EF that include pics. There are more if needed.
Again, keep us posted.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...cluster-removal-and-led-conversion-v2.240166/

https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...-to-remove-cluster-warning-22-pictures.46290/

I thought I replied to this.... CB medics is the way to go.... the cluster is not that hard to remove..... just take your time and go...

I thought I replied to this.... CB medics is the way to go.... the cluster is not that hard to remove..... just take your time and go...
Yes Todd, you did respond, there are two threads going on this, you responded to the other, in which you suggested that the intermittent window switch problem could be related to the intermittent operation of certain gauges and functions of the instrument cluster, and I was curious if, by the same logic, could the cluster malfunction also involve the the touchpad for the Keyless Entry System?

Latest posts