PAT (theft) system Locked, for how long?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstones81

Reaction score
& the wife strikes again~!
No problems with the PAT system for over a year now.....
& she locked the system up at the grocery store a mile from home with her truck sitting outside waiting for an alternator tomorrow........

How long does the PAT theft system stay locked for?
aka: try it so many times, it locks the system.

Its always been good the next morning.
But if it unlocks soon enough where I can go get it before bed with a 100% chance of it starting, I will.

??? Put a working key in the ignition, that should "reset" it.
Is the Theft light blinking fast?
A good scan tool will help you diagnose the PATS issue. Or you can try the blink codes (see above link).

Ok, well, the theft light will flash for about two minutes (one minute of fast flashing and then it flashes a blink code ten times). As far as I know it doesn't have a lock out time. You put the key in and then the PATS modules says 'go' or 'no go'. Good luck.

Use the key fob and it resets. or wait 15 min

Nothing like a nice brisk walk at 4am in 19* :D
No problems for me at all.
& nah, it eventually "Locks the system" after repeated attempts & wont reset for Hours.
or at least My truck wouldnt work until Hours later.

First time it happened, I tried EVERYTHING & ended up having to pay $100 for a tow.

its been working flawlessly this way. (thats my truck)

So I end up forgetting to get another key cut & programmed.
Until now when the Mrs probably got all aggressive with it & caused it to lock........

Glad you got it started!
That's one odd problem. Maybe the key is "weak"? Is it possible for the electronic bit inside the key to "degrade"?

No idea what it is exactly.
The only thing I have not done is try another key (until i get one made)

I replaced the sensor & that was having an even harder time picking up the keys chip then the old one!
so I had to put the old one back in & thats when I realized I could just do what I did in the video ^^^
(by pulling the sensor ring closer)

Once I get an extra key cut & programmed, I'll program a few extras myself.
Cut whichever key is picked up by the sensor the best & glue the chip directly to the sensor.
Then I can just use unchipped keys & Finally put the column covering back on hahaha

you need 2 keys to program a new key, you need the dealer now or a really good locksmith with the tools to program a key.

I know, as I only have one key atm.
Already got quoted on one from a locksmith with the proper programming tool.
$79 I think it was, because they cant use the blank keys I bought.
Can only use the keys for the programming tool
or so they say (been awhile)

No issues since sometime last year, which is why I forgot to get it done or call other local smiths to see if I can get it cheaper

Far from being an authority on this, but let me tell you about my experience.
Bought my `04 with only one key, no door code, and a tailgate lock that the only key would not operate.
Local Ford dealership wanted over $150 dollars for a new programmed key and I would have to leave truck for a half-a-day.
Found a mobile locksmith who; came to my house, duplicated the original key, deciphered the door code, picked the tailgate lock (with some unknown to me tool that was able to cut a key from the tools numbered code). His best guess was either the tailgate lock or the whole tailgate was changed
Outcome was: a new coded spare key, two new keys for the tailgate, and a door code that worked. All for $120 and they came to me!
Tombstones81...Keep looking.

Score!!!!
Ya we were actually waiting on a mobile locksmith first, but they got too busy & we got sick of waiting for like 3 hours in a shopping center.
(were there shopping & the guy was nearby)
Never contacted them back & forgot all about it.
I should contact them again tho, as I totally forgot about it haha

Only thing I was missing for mine was an extra key & the bed cover (replaced the lock)
Still had the original zip folder in the glove box with the door code card looking brand new haha
Which is surprising at 150k+

Latest posts