PCV Elbow Sludge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
So today I decided to put on the replacement PCV elbow that I got from Fast Parts Network as I have been running a 5/8" heater hose with a spring as a cheap replacement. I unclamped my line and saw something glistening inside, so after I got the whole piece off and looked down it, I saw all sorts of oil in there, and the tube smells like the exhaust of an old gas lawnmower...that rich, gasoline-infused smell.

I'm assuming that such crap is not supposed to be in my tube, so did it crop up because of my replacement?

Also, why is getting these elbows off such a pita? The elbow actually connected to the PCV valve (still stock, sadly) is stuck on, and doesn't come off, and getting the broken elbow off was a chore in itself. There must be something that I'm missing, because there isn't enough room to pull back by the pcv valve :( I guess 104k miles and 7-8 years does that to a part, but if I can't get it off soon, I'll just have to concede to leaving it on there until I can get around to it. :(

Sounds like the PCV valve is shot..

See the project on changing it.... The room is there to do the work, IF I can get my sausage hands in there any one can... LOL :)

:eek: lol:

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, once I break the 104k mile weld that has formed, I'll pop in the new pcv valve that I also happen to have lying around.

I don't want to put in a 35 buck replacement part if it is just going to ruined by another part. Thanks for the help.

BTW, the rear sway bar is awesome. I thought the ride was good before with just the stock shocks, but this new cornering far exceeds my expectations. Can't wait until I have the $ for the front sway bar.

Griff, I had that fun a year ago...and I got to play with them again to get the rear sway bar on yesterday. Whoever was the previous owner of my trac was clearly slacking on maintenance.

So I'll wait 30 minutes for the engine to cool down, and then I'll go swap out the pcv valve. This also solves the problem of getting the sorry elbow off, because now I can just remove the valve :D

Alright, 15 minutes after I started, the PCV valve is replaced, the new elbow setup is back on, and I do believe that the valve is locked into place.

Hopefully it will all work, cause if it doesn't, then I got hit in the eye with nasty brown/green coolant for nothing. (good thing my eye was covered) lol

Amazingly, once I pulled the plastic pipe out of the PCV valve elbow, that stubborn elbow almost fell off. Once I got the pipe out, I turned it upside down, and a river of brown gas smelling sludge poured out. I'm positive that I do not like positive crankcase ventilation ;)

Mr. Zabbia, thanks for the help, and FPN, thank you for hooking me up with the parts.

Welcome !! :banana:

Todd Z