PCV valve problem begging for ideas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay here is the problem. My sport trac is running kind of harsh. So I decieded t start a tune up. The first thing was to change out the pcv valve. I whent to take to old valve out and noticed it wasn't in the valve cover all the way. So I go ahead and take it out. Well when I put the new one in, it dosen't lock in place. I put my finger in the hole were i goes and the tits that lock it in are not there. I have no idea what to do except to epxoy it in, without haveing to replace the cover. Anybody have any ideas.

Put it in, Turn it to the stops and then add a friendly Zip tie to hold it to the hose....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

The problem is I can turn it from now until Christmas and it wont stop. The tits on the inside of the valve cover are not there. Am I missing something? Is there something else that makes it stop turning?

Are you pushing it into the cover as you turn ????? It should at least draw it self in...

If not then either the pcv valve is the wrong one, or the valve cover is damaged.....

Only thing would be to yank the valve cover and replace it..... You could epoxy it in, but then you will never get it out of there...

Todd Z

The valve is the right one. I think what I might do is cut a washer out with the tabs on it and exopy it onto the valve cover and use it to connect the pcv valve. Do you think this will hold it in tight enough? Buy the way thanks for the reply.

You could clean the oily surface good. Then use silicone rtv made for gaskets on engine surfaces..The black or gray or copper rtv.

If you do the Silicone thing, do NOT use the blue, use only the red or black as it is designed for near oil use. Blue will break down and put you right back to where you are now and maybe even worse if it falls into the cover and then makes it's way to your pan...

i don't have my Sport Trac anymore so I can't see exactly what your problem is, however many vehicles had simply used rubber cromets to hold the the PCV valve in place in the valve cover. I f kkyou can find the right sized gromet, that should work.

If you cannot find a gromet then stick with the RTV and do not use epoxy.

Also, depending upon the model year, some valvecovers are actually made of plastic and some are made of steel.

...Rich

I would make sure I've checked out all possibilities before "glueing" the valve to the cover. There should be no need to do that. Something else must be wrong, missing, or whatever.

Any way you do it make sure of a tight seal. IMO, the rtv is the best way. It will make a good seal. Also not like epoxy. It can always be peel away for the next service.

i just put the pcv back on would not catch like yours, pcv has a seal on just shoved back in stayed put did not move over 10,000 miles ago i am lucky and you will be too or buy valve cover