PIAA Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody L

Reaction score
Hello All,

Ok, I've got a couple of questions.

First off, I ordered a full brush guard and some PIAA 520 SMR's to go on it. As far as the lights go, it said that they are xtreme white. Does this mean they will have a diiferent color light output than my stock lights? If so, what PIAA headlights do I need to replace my stock headlights and stock foglights? I plan on ordering from the below webiste I they need replacing.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/PIAALighting-Bulbs.htm

Secondly, does anyone know how I can wire the PIAA 520's into the stock headlight switch. I'd like the PIAA's to come on when I turn my stock fog lights on. But Id also like to be able to switch then off if I wanted to. If it matters, I did a mod on the stock fog lights, so that they stay on when the high beams come on.

I know I have alot of questions, but I don't know too much about wiring/lights.

Thanks, Cody

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this mean they will have a diiferent color light output than my stock lights? If so, what PIAA headlights do I need to replace my stock headlights and stock foglights? I plan on ordering from the below webiste I they need replacing.

Yes, they will have a different color (yellowish white in OEM headlights versus white or blueish white with the SMRs). You can use PIAA Xtreme White 9007s in your headlights, which cost about $75/pair. You also can use Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9007s, which are very close in color and which cost about $40/pair ($30 after rebate). I have 510 SMRs on a safari bar + Silverstar Ultras and the color difference is nearly negligible. (Stare into the headlights and 510s long enough, and you can't tell the difference in color between them and the dash lights... :D)

Secondly, does anyone know how I can wire the PIAA 520's into the stock headlight switch. I'd like the PIAA's to come on when I turn my stock fog lights on. But Id also like to be able to switch then off if I wanted to.

Easiest way to accomplish this using the PIAA harness is--coming off of the PIAA switch is a power wire. Tap the OEM relay hot for the headlights so that when you turn on your headlights, the PIAA relay also has juice. Then, simply leave the PIAA switch always on so that the relay is powered not by the on/off but rather by the power flow when the headlights are turned on. Doing this will also give you the option of turning them off through the PIAA switch.

I did a variation of this by adding an 03-style fog light switch to my 04, which powers the PIAA relay instead of the PIAA switch/hot.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Note the color similarity between the 510s and the headlights, which at that time were regular Silverstars. They now are even closer with the Ultras. Compare that to the fog lights, which were stock (now Silverstar regular also).

Well, considering you are supposed to kill the highs when another vehicle comes anyway, yes.

Generally, states limit the number of front-firing lights to four. So, highs + fogs are okay, as are lows + fogs.

For example, I only use my PIAAs with high beams, and kill them if I hit oncoming traffic. They combination would blind them. :)

Kinda funny I was looking over our rules of the road here in new brunswick canada. it states that a vehicle must have at least 2 low beam lights and no more than 2 high beam. It doesn't give a max on the low beam though

Latest posts