Pinion Bearing Getting Fixed.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wolf

Reaction score
After swapping the gear oil in the rear diff, I think maybe I realized why it went bad.

Now that new oil is in there, I noticed it was leaking pretty bad where the axle goes in.

Was going to drive it up to coastiejoes, which is about 3 hrs away, but decided with that leak, better not chance it.

Local "Good Ol Boy" Tranny shop came and towed it away this morning. Going to replace all the bearings and seals, and the sleeve. Should have it back tomorrow some time.

They told me it will be 350 for labor plus parts, which they estimated at 200.

I hate having it in the shop. I usually do all my own work. This was just was too much for little ol me to handle.

Thanks all for the suggestions and such on my previous post.

Cool,

Keep us posted on the repair...

Todd Z

Got it back today...

The noise is completely gone. It must have been making more noise than I realized, it's so quiet now. No leaking.

They told me to take it easy for a couple days.

I'm very untrusting when it comes to shops, so I'm sure I will be checking over every inch of the ST later today. ( Had a real bad expirence many years ago getting an old pontiac fixed before I became a Ford guy ) Thats the main reason I learned to do things myself.

We'll see how it goes...

Wolf, the BEST thing you can do is take the truck on a 30 mile run, Even go 15 one way and turn around and come back, keeping it around 55MPH... Let the rear cool over night and then do it again....

Thats the best way to break in the bearings, and all the other parts...

Todd Z

Cool. From the garage to work was about 35 miles, and doubt I got above 50.

It's been sitting for about 8 hours, then the drive home, which is about 25 miles. I'll set the cruise at 55, and go. ( If the cruise doesn't catch fire, LOL )

I'll probably be easy on it for a week or so before normal driving habits, and mud kicks in. :)

Thanks for the tip.