pinion shims

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not shure what a pinion shim is. I lowerd mine just using the blocks between spring and axle.

He's talking about triangular shims between the blocks and axle to correct the pinion angle.

And I'd use 'em if the block manufacturer suggests them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly Dingo. I'veread that they are nedded when lowering trucks or suvs that use leaf spring suspension in the rear. If the pinion angle is not correct it may cause vibration, thumping or rattling noise and premature failure of the u-joints.

raym2, how much do you intend to lower it. I say they are not needed. Think about the fact that the truck has the ability to be loaded down. No correction is needed.

The only time I corrected angle was on some of the lowered cars I raced. Then pinion angle was critical to not blowing u-joints, due to axle wrap.

I'd like to lower it 2-3 inches all around. I emailed Todd and Dingo, heard back from Todd and he seemed to think it wasn't needed.

By lowering the ST your straighting ( lessening) the angle on the Cardan joints..... Your actually making it straighter....

I don't think there will be a problem on the ST, there should be no need for them...

Todd Z

Latest posts