Pinion squeal at differential

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Jones

Reaction score
I had a sudden squealing that started occurring in my rear end. I assumed it was a bearing until I realized that I had independent rear suspension instead of a solid rear axle. I had it investigated and the pinion seal is squealing at the differential.

Anyone else have this issue?

If so, have you done the repair? What does it entail? This looks like something I can attempt myself, but I'd like to have everything on hand before I begin. Nothing worse than being in the middle of something and having to make a trip to the parts store....:angry: AND THEY DON'T HAVE THE PART YOU NEED IN STOCK :fire:

Make sure its not a harmonic from the carrier bearing.... They have been known to fail a lot recently.

Todd Z

Good call, Todd Z, but we watched and heard it happen on the lift. The carrier bearing is silent and smooth. put it drive on the lift and followed the sound to the pinion. Watched the seal spin, too.

I just had the tranny rebuilt and one of the symptoms was it slamming into reverse. I'm sure the months of that going on picked the weakest link in the drivetrain to corrupt.

Check the rear fluid level or change it. Maybe spray a thin lubricant on the seal to see if it shuts up...

Just some basics before you dive into it.

Todd Z

Didn't think Pinion Seal was supposed to spin right? So is seal "glued" to shaft and causing squeal? Pinion seal replacement needed?

A pinion seal usually has a metal flange that is tapped into the differential housing, a flexible rubber seal protrudes from the metal flange and seals tightly around the yoke shaft that attaches to the driveshaft thus keeping the diff oil inside the housing. :haveabeer:

Latest posts