Pioneer 6-CD Player Won't Eject CD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTrac

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 wheel drive
Reaction score
The factory Pioneer 6-CD sound system in my '02 Sport Trac won't eject the CD. I've only owned the vehicle a few months and this is the first time I've used the CD. It plays great but now I can't get the CD to eject. In browsing the web I see several approaches to CD removal (disconnect negative battery cable, remove & replace radio fuses, physical removal, etc.) but wondered if anyone here has some first hand experience with this particular unit. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Craig R.

The problem fixed itself! Went for a walk at the track this morning. When I finished and got back in my truck, I discovered the CD had popped out on its own. Now I'm not sure just how often I'll be using the CD player down the road.

Craig R.

Be careful with radio. I have one and was loaded with cds then it stop. Had to take it out and remove the cds by hand. Now the radio only works. Play and put only one in at a time.

Be careful with radio. I have one and was loaded with cds then it stop. Had to take it out and remove the cds by hand. Now the radio only works. Play and put only one in at a time.
I know exactly what you mean. I had to do the exact same thing with my wife's 6 CD player in her Escape. What a PITA! I've told her to please only load and play one at a time. I don't want to go through that again!

Craig R.

I know exactly what you mean. I had to do the exact same thing with my wife's 6 CD player in her Escape. What a PITA! I've told her to please only load and play one at a time. I don't want to go through that again!

Craig R.
Same issue here. Even loading one CD is a royal chore. Looking to replace with an upgrade from the 21st century.

Glad that yours fixed itself. When this happened to me, I did a lot of searching for solutions. Several people did have luck with doing a "reset" and having the system come back to life - just removing the battery cables and then putting them back on.

This didn't work for me, and so I had to remove mine and pull the CD's out by hand. I bought some of those U-shaped pullers and could not get them to work, but removing the plastic that surrounds the stereo and heater controls revealed that you can pull it out that way too.

I followed this video on how to remove the CDs. . Towards the end, he shows where a gear falls out of the unit and you have to manually put it back into place. This was what happened to mine, but even with it back in place, the Error message was displayed. It may have been something that I did while inside the unit - this thing is so fragile and complicated that I'm surprised they last even one year. So, having one that survived 18 years wasn't a bad thing.

It's easy enough to hook up a $20 Bluetooth unit and connect your phone. Or spend $100 and buy a new stereo.

The 6 disc unit I fixed (2007) had a small gear on the front roller mechanism by the CD load opening slot that came off it's shaft. I put a small drop of glue on the shaft and glued it back on and that fixed it. The roller wheels are what load and unload the CD's into and out of the slot.

Latest posts