planetary gear noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob

Reaction score
On my '01 ST, when I come to a stop while still in drive, I hear a slight but rapid clickety-clackety sound. Last time I had it serviced at the Dealer they told me this was "planetary gear noise" and was nothing to worry about. That was about 10k miles ago. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I have a long road trip coming up in a few months and want to address any outstanding issues. Is this something I should be concerned about? What are typical remedies for this symptom and cost? Thanks.

Stop in drive....... the transmission needs to me turning for the planetary gear set to make noise.... Period...

I think it may be something electrical, or a solenoid you hear clicking...

Todd Z

Todd is absolutely correct! You should never hear any gear noise when you are stopped!

Anytime you do hear gear noise, you have a problem. Modern gears, that are installed and setup right do not make noise.

When you go to these quacks for service and they give you a mouthfull of BS like that, always ask them to write that down on your Work Order. If they know they are giving you a line of BS, they will either change their tune or give you a different excuse. Just ask them to right down all their excuses for not fixing it. :lol:

That usually ends all the BS and they will usually get someone to look at the problem.

...Rich