Planned no-wait mods - what'cha think?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't even taken delivery of my 09 STA yet and I'm already formulating a list of mods to knock out as soon as it arrives. Thanks to this forum for the motivation! In no particular order here are the items I'm looking to change / upgrade / modify...

1. Head unit - I have another post for clarification on which one to use for greatest functionality

2. Exhaust / Mufflers - Something I always wanted to do to my 02 ST but never got around to. This time I'm doing it right off the bat. Lookin at the Flomaster 40 or 50 series but if theres a better option out there I'm all ears. Anyone got a true dual setup to work? That would be ultimately ideal.

3. Upgrade factory audio system. I got the "downgraded" single disk system intentionally so I wasn't paying for the factory "upgrade" components that I knew I'd be changing soon anyway. I'm a fan of JL audio and I see they're making a shallow 13" sub but I'd REALLY like to use 3 8" or better yet 3 10" subs if at all possible. I'm not above hacking out the plastic panel behind the seats to make room. Need box designs if anyones done it.

4. Cold air induction - Although the term "cold" in a Vegas summer seems a bit absurd I see that routing the filter and tubing out the side of the wheel well is the popular choice for "cooler" air.

5. MAF - Still a bit hazy on this one so I'll defer to some of the masters 'round here for direction and clarification.

6. Engine Management - xCal3 seems to be the standard. I'm all about supporting the site sponsors.

Am I forgetting anything obvious? I figure a couple $k will definitely get me in the right direction without going completely off the deep end.

Please chime in if you have any opinions or experience with any of the above. I'm eager to start doing my homework on these items so I can have everything ready as soon as the new STA hits the driveway!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

No larger MAF for the Gen2 available....

Best place for air into the intake is the STOCK location...... Get the nocturnal kit and mod your lower intake box.... Best savings for torque....

and yes, the TB is available... :)

and Xcal...

Todd Z

Only see the TB listed to an 07 V8 engine... is it safe to assume it will work for an 09 as well?

Stock location for the intake, huh? OK, didn't expect that one. Not familiar with the Nocturnal kit so I'll do some digging.

Any other goodies co consider at the mild end Todd?

Last edited by a moderator:
The TB will work, we have to update the site, as a mater of fact the TB we use in the 2009 Number from ford..

The nocturnal intake can be found on my site....

as for other stuff, ignition coils and UDP are available... thats about it..

Todd Z

So you recommend the Nocturnal kit instead of the "cone filter in the wheel well" type? Interesting. Your site lists "Package #1"...is there such a thing as a #2 etc?

I'm not finding a direct link to them via google. Do they have an online shop for more info about it?

More research causes more questions...

I see that a lot of customer trucks on the Zabteck site use the Random Technology Y-pipe with or without the high flow cats. Is this required or optional for the Flowmaster (or other brand - Magnaflow?) exhaust systems? It's the 4.6l V-8

Coming from a two wheeled tuning background, I see a "full system" exhaust as everything from headers to mids to mufflers etc. Is this the case for an aftermarket system for the ST? Or should I just be thinking about from the headers back?

Thanks again for all the info and patience with my myriad of questions!!!

Steve

Steve....

99% of the stuff I sell is for the Gen 1 ST and the 4.0 V6 only( gen 1 and 2) ....

The y-pipe and other stuff will not work on your ST.....nothing like that is made... no headers nothing.....

Nocturnal is a member here that i allow to sell his products on the site and through zabteck...

Do a quick site search for Doug Potts, or nocturnal and his stuff should come up....

Todd Z

That would probably explain why I can't find anything definitive on exhaust systems anywhere else either. Neither Flowmaster or Magnaflow has a "Here, this is everything you'll need" kit. Sombody's gotta have one or know how to make it work I would imagine.

Steve,

Dual exhaust will probably be an expensive challenge, if it's even possible. Cheapest way to go is just have a single-out Flowmaster installed with a custom tailpipe. Bet you can probably do that for under $200 easy, and have a nice sounding Trac.

Steve, whoa there big fella! Lets try and take things one at a time, with each modification you will see either an improvement or not. I've got an '08, 4.6L, 4x4, I started with a K&N series 57 intake kit for an Explorer, then a Magnaflow cat-back system #16779. These two things got me only a modest improvement. I picked up a Zabteck throttle body from Todd, who graciously installed it, that gave the jump in power I was looking for. There is still a lot of potential left in the motor that a tuner, like the one from SCT(xcalIII) will release. They first have to get the programming right for the 6-speed tranny. I'll bet I got about 325BHP at the crank right now. I am working on the suspension and brakes to improve stability and safety. So.....think first, check with people on the site(Todd) and always remember you are driving a vehicle with the wieght and aerodynamics of a brick. Good Luck, Bob (have fun):cool:

Thanks for the reality check Bob. Many of the things I listed I wanted to do to my 02 but never got around to it. As my daily driver and vehicle I take a lot of pride in I balanced out what I wanted vs. what would be nice to have. Like some I don't care a great deal if the exhaust gets me a bunch more ponies or not. I enjoy the sound of a deep exhaust note. Not for the "16 year old with cherry bomb mufflers on his Mustang" enjoyment though. I'm a gearhead - race bikes being my main passion - so the sound of a V-8 exhaling just sounds good to me. Also knowing its silly to solely focus on the exhaust side is why I decided to bump up the intake side a little. Again, a little inhale whistle is music in its own right. And again with the stereo system. I'm past the age of 5k watt amps and being heard a mile away but I do enjoy solid bass performance with accompanying mids and highs. My truck is my cave of solitude for a few minutes a day and I want to enjoy the mods for me and my tastes. I've had my current one for 7 1/2 years and I imagine I'll have the next for at least as long. I'm treating myself a little.

Thanks again and I appreciate the comments and direction. Good to be back on here after such an absence.

I had a Flowmaster setup on my '01. Single-in, dual-out , dual tailpipes out the rear under the bumper. Sounded good. On my '05 I used a similar setup but used Magnaflow instead. Both systems were custom built by a local muffler shop. Finished off with twin tips. Sounds great (better than Flowmaster)

The Magnaflow system #16779 notes "except Adrenalin". What the...??? Can anyone clarify?

Will most muffler shops do custom work as Doug suggested? (Midas?) or do I need to find a specialty shop? I've seen one other Trac with duals out the back and I think Best Muffler Shop did the work. But that was years ago on a Gen 1. Dunno whats possible with a Gen 2. Don't necessarily need duals I guess. Sure would like to have the dual tips out if at all possible. Haven't found any high flow cats or other pieces yet either.

As a side note...It looks like the Pioneer AVIC F90BT is edging ahead. Seems like the main drawback is the start up time and I'm kinda impatient with that kinda stuff. Havent heard as many Alpine or Clarion users chime in as I'd expected.

Zabteck throttle body...CHECK - Nocturnal CAI...CHECK - Xcal3...CHECK - Not bad for not even taking delivery of the darn thing yet, huh?

First, the rear of the body on the Adrenalin is molded for exhaust exit on the driver side only.

Second, there is no room (through the undercarriage) for a second pipe.

With some reconstruction of both the body and the undercarriage, I'm sure you could find a way, but its not a simple swap out/bolt-on.

Magnaflow system #16779 is a cat-back kit that exits at the side.

The Adrenalin exits to the rear, so you would have to throw away half of the kit.

The more cost efficient route would be to:

1. Remove the factory muffler and resonator

2. Replace the resonator with straight pipe

2. Replace the muffler with Magnaflow #14236 (5"x8"x22", 2.5" offset & 2.5" offset)

This is the same exact muffler as the one from the kit (#16779) without the "extra" pipe.

3. Re-weld the factory pipes, muffler to the rear

Any muffler shop can do the work, but I'd advise going to a reputable shop.

If the screw something up (welds, etc.), they're more likely to do the right thing.

BTW, I've had my STA for a year now and finally finished (more or less) what you have accomplished even before taking delivery! :cool:

I'm not familiar with the startup time on the Pioneer.

I still have the factory 6-disc unit, for now, and IMO, I'm not very impressed with the startup time I currently have.

I personally have the remote start and use it 99% of the time, so my radio is always on before I'm within earshot, regardless of the startup time.

If that's the only draw back, maybe consider getting an aftermarket alarm with remote start as a work around . . . . AC/Heat & radio by the time you get to your truck . . . How could you go wrong with that? :cool:

BTW, the only negative thing I've heard about Pioneer headunits in general is that the user interfact (menu, settings, etc.) is a little confusing, but if you're familiar with Pioneer, it's easy.