Plastic peeling on tailgate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Venable

Reaction score
The bottom plastic piece on my one month old ST is starting to peel off. Has anyone else had this problem? I will be taking it to the dealer to get it fixed tomorrow.

:(

Rick, are you talking about the strip that has the Ford badge on it? If so, they got awfully thin a coulple of years ago, hence, the dreaded dimple issue.

Rick, Where on your trac?

Teddy a few of us checked out the tracs at the SW Az meet regarding the "dimples" I think out of 10 all but I think 2 had the dimples. If I recall the earlier models did not have them the 03 04 and 05s all had it.

Mine came loose after having the tailgate painted.I preped it and the tailgate,applied two sided tape and so far no problems(appx 2 yrs).

GM,

At the very bottom of the tailgate, there is a raised section about 8 inches high that goes all the way across the tailgate and blends with the lines of the fender bulges. While it apears that this piece is stamped into the tailgate sheet metal, it is not. The tailgate is actually molded fairly flat. The raised accent line at the bottom of the tailgate is actually as piece of molded plastic that is glued to the tailgate with double faced sticky tape.

The Sport Trac tailgate is the same tailgate that was used one the previous F-150 models, except they added the stick-on raised plastic trim to blend better with the Sport Trac without having to make a whole new tailgate.

...Rich

RichardL described it correctly. on both the drivers and passengers side edges it appears to be coming loose. The passengers side is a little bit worse and I believe it rubs on the the side of the truck when the tailgate is opened or closed. You can actually see the tape in the gap. Since the truck is only a month old with about 1500 miles on it I will be taking it in tomorrow to let the dealer fix it.

Latest posts