Polish Stain on Textured Aluminum

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snooze

Reaction score
I have Ultra Type 181 rims that I was busy polishing today with the PowerBall. As I progressed, I noticed that the polish, after turning a dark color, was not coming off the textured portions of the rim. I was using the Mothers PowerMetal - Aluminum polish.

So, How do I get this stain off and what might I use to clean these sections of the rim to make them look like they came from the factory?

[Broken External Image]:

are you sure it is a stain, It looks more like the clear coat is lifting or pealing away...

and Sorry, But IF you have those ugly stock lug nuts on there you should not be worried about a little stain... LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Todd Z

I have chrome lug nuts!! I have not put them on :( and there is a hub cover that goes on, so the finish is a bit nicer then what you see. Just for that comment I will go put them on. I was being lazy. :p

The stains I am referring to are the dark shades on the textured sections of the rim. There is not a clear coat and I know that because when I polish, a dark residue is created from rubbing.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are polished aluminum then you can use mineral spirits and a tooth-brush so you can get into the texture.

I don't know myself--but seeing that NelsonOKC is living over there for a while, I'd ask him any questions you have about anything that is Polish.

:lol:

Hey Todd... I don't think you're allowed to say anything until your pics that you can see your rims in dont have brakedust involved.... hahahaha