Posi Rear end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only difference is the "locker" that goes into the gears. You can do it without having to change the whole axle. You do have to remove everything inside to get the "locker" gears in there though. I would think it would probably just be easier to switch out the whole axle. Just my opinion.;)

Power trax makes a nice bolt in locker style differential, cost will be around $600.00 installed by a shop....

Bill B installed one a while back and had had great luck with it...

Todd Z

Hmm, check out www.therangerstation.com and see what they talk about there. There are several lockers that are superior to posi and easier to install aftermarket. Plus I'm pretty certain they don't have clutches so you don't have to worry about replacing those.

Powertrax is the way to go. Simple install and it you have the tools and mechanical ability, you can do it in an afternoon. It isn't a hard swap and would be easier than replacing the whole axle.

Tom

I have the powertrax locker in my 97 rodeo. doesn't chatter on corners, isn't nosy, but you will learn to make changes in your driving style that are not a big deal to help keep it disengaging cleanly and noiselessly. It is the real shit off road, period. and I do mean period. absolutely no fail engagement.

coming into a corner you ease off the accelerator and coast into the turn. there is an occasional clunk as it disengages if you don't make the small changes to how you do stuff. it is not a hassle and again, definitely worth it. and it is very cheap, I mean price, not quality/performance.

I got tons of use from it out in the deserts of california and on the beaches and hills of mexico.

if you have lots of loot, though, the eaton electric locker or the arb lockers definitely give you an off versus on solution. I believe one version even has the in between LS possibility, all selectable.

Last edited by a moderator:
No where as noisy or harsh as a Detroit locker.... LOL

Todd Z

Gavin,

I did this to a detriot locker rear.....:lol::lol:

I was able to reuse the locker.... the rest of the ring, pinion, seals, bearings, and axles were trash.....;)

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

A Detroit True-Trac diff is also very good. A gear-driven limited-slip, virtually identical to the Torsen that Ford puts in the FX4 Level II Ranger.

Latest posts