Posi rear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
Anyone put a posi rear on their Trac? I'm toying with the idea. How hard, how much and what are the downsides to it if any?

jlevin75,

Did you mean posi (limited slip) or locker? A limited slip is about $200.00 or less + bearings etc. plus labor of about $250.00 to 300.00. It should come to about $500.00 or 600.00.

I have a limited slip with 4WD and, for what I do, it's fine. The only change I would consider is to a selectable locker, but they are expensive, and I don't really need it.

Only downside is when both wheels are on a slippery surface, i.e. snow or ice, both wheels will break traction. You have to go easy on the skinny pedal and steer it right when that happens. With an open diff, one wheel will spin and the other will help it track straight but you get less forward motion as well. Me, I'd rather have power going to both wheels.

A locker isn't necessary unless you off-road a lot and a limited-slip is better for the street anyway. If you don't want to spring for a True-Trac, get a factory unit.