Possible Lifter Rattle???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Helstad

Reaction score
I rolled over the 133K mark last week and have an 08 V8 LTD on order. The past couple of days I have noticed what seems to be a lifter rattling on start up. It goes away after about 2 minutes and then does not bother the rest of the day. Could it be a lifter, or should I be thinking different? Any remarks will be appreciated.

Rod

Might be the front timing chain on the overhead cam! These motors are notorious for this. I had this problem with mine. I also could hear it at around 3000 rpm.

It the oil leaking back out of the engine. The dealer will say it's caused by the oil filter. I know this because mine does it, and it doesn't matter what filter I use. I can actually hear it for about 1/2 a second right before my oil pressure guage goes up after start up.;)

Timing chain tensioner. It sounds like shaking beer can full of rocks at start-up then goes away.

I had a Ranger Edge that did the same thing and was the idler pully.....WD 40 was a good temp fix, but ended up getting the part replaced by Ford