Possibly buying used Xcal 2 & have questions...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Clymer

Reaction score
I know this has possibly been asked before, but I can't find my answers in the search. If I buy a used XCal 2, what do I need to have done to it? I know it might need unlocked. What are the proper steps to take and totals I might be looking at? I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance everyone!

Bama chips should be able to send you the stuff to unlock it. I believe there is a fee and you need you vin number. You will also need to purchase tune's.

Bootsy,

It can be expensive to unlock the device and it will have to be sent to BamaChips to be unlocked, not something you can do yourself. In some cases it may even have to be sent back to SCT.

Find out if the vehicle it was used on was flashed back to stock with the Xcal. If it was it will be much easier and cheaper to get it working for you. You of course will still need to buy tunes but you need to buy these even with a new xcal.

George

Ok, so really my best bet is to just buy one new so I don't have to go through hoops to get it right? I think I might just go that route then. I don't want to have to deal with sending it back and forth and stuff like that. Thanks for the help. :)

If it is unlocked it is much easier and if you can get a good price on it there is nothing wrong with buying it used. If it is locked, me personally, I would not buy it unless it is dirt cheap. Doug at BamaChips is great and if you give him a call he will get everything taken care of for you.

George