Power Steering Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
My STA power steering pump is making a whining noise however it is not leaking nor low on fluid. Any suggestions on a possible repair or am I stuck having to replace the pump?

Aloha CopSTA, I would check the pulley bearing. Spray a little lubricant on it. If that didn't work, replace the fluid.

'hope it works Ed

Mine doing it ever since I bought the truck used 4 years ago.

gets quieter if I begin to turn or put the slightest turn on the wheel.

I had ford look at it when I bought it and the mechanic said it's normal.

Keep us posted.

At about 60K my 08 4.6L was making some similar noise that I thought was the pump. Started with complete fluid replacement - no change. I really didn't want to consider pump replacement at this mileage. Decided to replace the idler pulleys, tensioner and serp belt. RockAuto sells a complete kit from Gates for ~$100. One hour DIY; problem solved. I'll bet that's the source of your noise too. Changing out your PS fluid on a regular basis is always good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a believer in additives, but this stuff gets great reviews. For $7 may be worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '05 just blew its power steering pump. It still functioned but leak was so bad I was adding to reservoir regularly. Blew fluid everywhere.. I had mine replaced as well as the hose. Just had it done. Steering is a little stiff now but I have only driven it a couple of times since repair. I had just passed 100k miles, so happy anniversary to me... I also had the alternator fail last month. :cry: still love the truck though.

I flush my power steering when I flush and service my transmission. Every 50K miles. I have also learned to use Mercon V trans fluid in it rather than basic Mercon III. It has a fairly high amount of friction modifier in it and really helps to quite down the pump and even runs much smoother. On a really noisy pump that hasn't been serviced much and the fluid is dark, drain some of the fluid out ( about 1/2 - 3/4 quart ). Add some motor flush ( or a small amount of kerosene ) to it and drive around your neighborhood for a few minutes. Go home flush out with cheep mercon and then fill with Mercon V trans fluid. Has always worked for me and I have never had to change a pump but once. The problem runs, with most people not servicing the system and it gets a lot of particulate in it. Just tears it up from the inside out...

Latest posts