power steering

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed about 3 months ago that my power steering would stutter when I turned the wheel while idling. Tonight I noticed it seemed to be turning harder while at idle. Anyone had this problem? Is this a sign of the pump going out?

Chris

There is also the steering shudder issue where ford upgrades your pump....

Todd Z

Chris I have this same problem that will hopefully be fixed this week. I took it to the dealer for the third time complaining about it and they ordered the parts to fix it, should be done on Thursday. I have a 2004. There have been several post about the power steering shudder. It is a common problem and there is a TSB on it. It happens exactly as you described while stopped or a very low speed. I notice it most whenever driving slowly around a parking lot and even more while backing from a parking space.

I am a bit concerned however because everything I have read on here says the fix is to replace the pump but they are not going to replace the pump but rather a couple other component of the steering system I cant recall now what they said they were but they did show me paperworkt hey had that told them that is what they should do to fix it. Anyone here think this sounds right?

Do a search for the other post and the TSB I'm betting that is the problem.

Mine does it. I took it to the dealer before and got the "can not duplicate customer complaint" response. I had the tech sit in the passenger seat and while I was carrying a conversation I was turning my wheel back and forth. I asked, "do you feel that shuddering?" He said yes. I made my point.

Unfortunately that was at the point of truck pickup from other work over a 4 day period and I haven't taken it back yet. Going back soon and this issue will be addressed.