Power upgrade/Power-adders

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2008SportTrac

Reaction score
Howdy, all!

I come from the Mustang world, and I've not left a single vehicle I've owned, stock. But, to be fair, they've all been Mustangs for the last 25-30 years, or so (I had a '70 GS350 and a '70 Monte before I got into Fords). I've toyed a great deal with all versions of Mustangs, but found myself in need of something with a pick-up bed. It was between this, and a Lightning.

So, I chose this '08 V8 4x4 Sport Trac, with (essentially) the same motor I had in an '05 GT that I put a Kenne Bell on.

I guess my first question is, how different are the truck 4.6 3-valves from those found in the Mustang? They list their power slightly differently (by 8 hp, and that's likely just to make us feel better about the Mustang). I HIGHLY doubt that the 4.6 3-valve is any different, car to truck, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do the 4.6's in the trucks use the same heads as those in the Mustangs? I know, in the past, they'd put a more 'torque-y' head on the truck, sacrificing some HP. But I doubt they made different heads for the Mustang and trucks on the 3-valves.

Am I crazy thinking about putting a power-adder on the sport-trac? (and, can they use all the same ones that, say, an '05 Mustang can use)?

Thanks for your input! :)

I believe the power difference is the difference in exhaust manifolds and tune. The Mustang intake is clearly different, but I don't know about the exhaust.
The Explorer block is iron and Mustang is aluminum.

I got bored and started comparing part numbers on RockAuto.com and found that the the cams, pistons, rods, and valves were the same.

I can't find the thread, but in another Explorer forum, I remember reading about one member installing a Mustang long block into their Explorer. All of the Explorer parts bolted up, but the mounts were different - one had to have another hole drilled to make it work and the other side needed more fabrication. I understand the oil pans were different - baffling for sure, and maybe shape. They also found that the Mustang heads were updated and didn't use the crappy two-piece sparks plugs.

Its intake, and tunes and weight, and block and gearing...…
you can SC the ST 4.6, you can add modified TB and some other bolt on and slight internals, and other stuff..... Headers are worthless and custom fit anyway. Other stuff requires heavy tuning and again its a heavy truck with a lot of drivetrain weak points.

the 08 is a cross over year with upper intake change and cylinder heads. you could or could not have the snap off plugs and integral charge motion plates.
Some things you remove and make it worse, a lot worse, Others add some nice HP and torque but NO WHERE as close as modding the stang… Period.

Mine had the two-piece plugs. I just had them swapped out for the one-piece designs, and new coil packs (I would normally swap the plugs myself, but am aware of their tendency to break off in the head!)

So, what I'm hearing is that it's not worth trying to add a SC to these. That's a bummer. I would have thought that, perhaps, the positive-displacement SC's would work, since they replace the upper intake. Maybe a company makes a turbo kit that will work...

My next 'upgrade' will be replacing the worn-out driveshaft. I found a place online that sells replacement driveshafts - Dorman Driveshaft. Has anyone used one of these? What have others done when the two-piece driveshaft is in need of a replacement (the driveshaft shops around here won't touch the driveshaft for a rebuild or the like).

Thanks for your help!

SC is ok and makes some power. If you can do the work yourself and tune it you can save money. But it’s close to 10 grand to pay some one to do it. That’s where it’s not worth it.
the ultra power shaft from rock auto is $355 shipped and holds up good.

SC is ok and makes some power. If you can do the work yourself and tune it you can save money. But it’s close to 10 grand to pay some one to do it. That’s where it’s not worth it.
the ultra power shaft from rock auto is $355 shipped and holds up good.
Thank you for the driveshaft suggestion. I've been looking around, about about $500 is the best I was seeing. The Ford replacement (from Ford) is almost 1K. So, yeah, to find something for 1/2 or less is definitely more desireable. I just don't know about the brands that I've seen, was hoping someone else had used another. Ultra Power is a decent brand for a replacement? I hadn't seen that one mentioned, but for half the price, and if you've had some experience with it, I'm happy to give them a shot.

Ridiculous that both the mustang and these trucks had to have a 2-piece drive-shaft. On the mustangs, there are, of course, many shops that make replacements (some, even, one-piece designs). No joke, though, that no one in my area even wanted to talk about working on the driveshaft in these. Are they THAT bad a part? I get that they have a pretty big up/down angle, so need to be two-piece. But it seems there are options. If you've tried the ultra power shaft from RA, then I might give that one a shot. It's more the carrier bearing that's shot that I need to replace, but the shaft is also definitely worn. So I want to do all at once. And the CB is like a $30 part, but, LOL, no one wants to tough the driveshaft itself. Not a big deal, I can replace all myself; just want to do it with a quality part, but for less than the $1000 that Ford wants for their replacement!

I believe the power difference is the difference in exhaust manifolds and tune. The Mustang intake is clearly different, but I don't know about the exhaust.
The Explorer block is iron and Mustang is aluminum.

I got bored and started comparing part numbers on RockAuto.com and found that the the cams, pistons, rods, and valves were the same.

I can't find the thread, but in another Explorer forum, I remember reading about one member installing a Mustang long block into their Explorer. All of the Explorer parts bolted up, but the mounts were different - one had to have another hole drilled to make it work and the other side needed more fabrication. I understand the oil pans were different - baffling for sure, and maybe shape. They also found that the Mustang heads were updated and didn't use the crappy two-piece sparks plugs.
Just to stop you there, my '05 definitely DID use the POS 2-piece spark plugs. Luckily, as part of the Kenne-Bell install, it replaced them. But that was a 5500-6500$ upgrade, but that was back around 2006 when I did that.

I just paid $800 to replace all of the plugs in my '08 ST. I about CHOKED when my buddy told me it was going to be that much (plugs and coil packs), but $600 of it was the parts. He only charged me $200 to swap them all (none broke, luckily!) I still thought the parts were ludicrously expensive!!!! I found plugs/coils online for $150-250. But he said he liked only one certain brand, so 200 became 600. I wasn't happy with that, but he didn't break a single two-piece plug off in the head, so I didn't gripe too much :)

Just to stop you there, my '05 definitely DID use the POS 2-piece spark plugs. Luckily, as part of the Kenne-Bell install, it replaced them. But that was a 5500-6500$ upgrade, but that was back around 2006 when I did that.

I just paid $800 to replace all of the plugs in my '08 ST. I about CHOKED when my buddy told me it was going to be that much (plugs and coil packs), but $600 of it was the parts. He only charged me $200 to swap them all (none broke, luckily!) I still thought the parts were ludicrously expensive!!!! I found plugs/coils online for $150-250. But he said he liked only one certain brand, so 200 became 600. I wasn't happy with that, but he didn't break a single two-piece plug off in the head, so I didn't gripe too much :)
BUT!!! If you're going to replace the plugs/coil-packs on the V-8, be prepared for about an $800-bill. Yes, stupid expensive! But, good parts will run you a bit, and that's the wear-item on this 3-v V8. You can cheap-out on the coils (if you're crazy), but the plugs are stupid expensive (if you go to the single-piece design, which you should!), but good luck if you get one broke off in your head!

LOL, they want 10K to put a $2500 supercharger on an ST. LOL! WOW, redoncerous! NOPE! for 120 or so extra HP. NOPE! I'll find a turbo or centrifugal SC that'll work on here. REALLY?!!! 10K for 120 HP? KISS MY ASS! Hell, they wouldn't ask half of that for an install on a Mustang. TARDS!

I'll let ya'll know when I'm making 500 with the same 4.6. It'll likely require turbo, maybe a bigger SC, but I'll find it. Fuck these guys asking 10K for 125+ HP for an Edlebrock, positive-displacment SC. Reallly, for 10K, you can drop a big-block into the truck. Kiss my ass you're going to charge me 10K for 125 HP. That's just insulting!!!!

PS this AINT a mustang forum.... the ST is a "Rare" vehicle.... parts are hard to get.... its supply and demand..... you can get the mustang SC kit and make it work... many have,,,,, Buying the brenspeed kit is crazy $$… info is out there.... a guy here is selling a SC 4 door 2009 with 80k miles that's mint... he was at Carlisle PA with it.... Ive though about buying it.... probably get it for 14k..

Latest posts