PowerTrax rear locker

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Well my Powertrax locker showed up and I installed it last night. I wish I would have taken some pics and made a project for it. But it was a very easy install, the hardest part was refilling the diff with (3) $15.00 bottle of Mobil 1 synthetic oil.:huh: It was a messy project though:D so it was probably better I did not have a camera with me.

It makes no noise at all, and I can feel it lock-up when going around turns and I jump on the gas.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Chad's right, the key to what Chad said is "going around turns and I jump on the gas". The Locker should lock the diff to keep the wheels from spinning when going around a corner and jumping on the gas hard.

A locker is designed to lock under acceleration and un lock while coasting in turns.

IF you hit the gas in turns it will lock.....

Don't do it in the rain, the truck will whip around on you.... The outside tire will try to spin the inside tire faster causing a loss of traction....

A locker has no slip like a clutch posi does...

Todd Z

I have read that about these units in snow and ice. I still have my original L/S equipment which is in great shape, that I may switch back to in the winter months. I was shocked at the $15.00/bottle price of the gear oil.

Chad

Edited,

Sorry, wrong answer... LOL :rolleyes:

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
My ST had/has the 4:10 LS option. If I had the open diffs it would have been half price for everything, including the oil, and saved me over $250.00. :angry:

Chad

Chad,

The different fluid for the LSD equipped diff is not for the gears, but the LS package itself. The clutches create heat and the higher viscosity fluid is designed to deal with that heat. Along with that, the additive is only for the clutches.

Anyone, please, correct me if I am wrong.

Our motorhome uses 75W150 only because if is pushing a gigantic shoe box that weighs 17,000 LBS and tows a 4000 LB car behind it for a total of 21,000 LBS. (It does all that with only 220 HP)

Tom

Our motorhome uses 75W150 only because if is pushing a gigantic shoe box that weighs 17,000 LBS and tows a 4000 LB car behind it for a total of 21,000 LBS. (It does all that with only 220 HP)

So your cruise control is a brick on the gas pedal then? :lol:

Actually, it gets about 9.5 MPG at 70 MPH. That really isn't too bad considering the size, weight, and aerodynamics of it.

Tom

Devin,

This dealer has the best price for a powertrax locker on the net. But they drop ship from Richmond gear, as they do not stock the unit for a ford. Also when I ordered mine, the locker was on backorder from Richmond, and they estimated 3-4 weeks. So I called Summit racing and they have them in stock for Fords and they will also price match too. I paid $414.00 from Summit and had it in 2 days.

Hope this helps,

Chad