Powertrax vs. Aussie lockers...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
I know some of you guys have had these traction systems added to your trac's (Aussie lockers and Powertrax lockers) and I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison (Aussie vs. powertrax)? Anyone have a good or bad experience with either one?

Also I have a 2001 Job2 4x2 Sport trac but I do not know the diff. type and have googled and search forums but cant decipher what kind I have. And I know if I have the Limited slip that puts me out of the running of the Aussie. That being said I am assuming I have the open diff. cause I have the mid-grade (cheaper) model ST.

So if anyone could point me either way toward the right traction system it would be much appreciated.:D

-I like the fact that the Aussie is half the price of the Powertrax but I am a stickler for noises and clanks and what not. ;)

31 spline

(larger center pin)

Also look on your sticker on the door under AXL:

Axle codes:

46 — 3.73 non-limited slip

42 — 4.10 non-limited slip

D4 — 3.73 limited slip

D2 — 4.10 limited slip

Hope this helps

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd Z that helps a lot...

My Axle code is 46 so i have the open 3.73

Anyone have any thoughts on Aussie vs. Powertrax other than Aussie is a bunch cheaper?:D

I know people that installed both, Both are happy....

I also can not speak as to which one is better, Sorry...

I personally never liked add on lockers, I allways replaced the whole carrier....

Todd Z

I got the Powertrax installed, mine diff is the 42 and I can tell you it makes a difference for a two wheel drive. You feel more secure, having more control, I can not tell you about the other brand, but so far I am happy.

Jose

I have the Aussie ... compared both of them out of the box and put both in the differential (without sealing it) to see if there was a difference, but installed the Aussie ... costs less. Design is identical to the eye, but when I sent an e-mail to the Aussie site, they sent me the following :

Matthew,

The differences include the steel used, the heat treat process, teeth angle, teeth depth, cam angle, cam design, cam manufacturing process, size of locker, type of pins, design of pins, spring design, use of precision springs, elimination of windows in design, base of pin hole design, quality processing, overall manufacturing process to ensure identical dimensioning batch after batch, final quality audit processes and the list goes on.

Please be sure you have an open carrier in your vehicle as the Aussie is designed for this type of diff. The Aussie Locker will stand up to high horsepower, large tires and pretty well whatever you decide to throw at it.

We would recommend you visit our site at www.aussielocker.com and check out the FAQ as you go through the decision process.

Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

As for my experience with them ... I agree with Jose 100% ... it does make a difference ! Haven't had a truely difficult test in 4WD yet, but mild snow/dirt, it does excellent !

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no point to a locking differential in the front differential, is there?

Is it akin to the "limited slip front differential" that some car salesmen bs'd a member here about, to con a member into leaving the stealership without 4wd and a class 3 hitch (was that also the same guy?)

I just can't see it doing much...the site says that without a front locker, your 4wd vehicle can become a 2wd vehicle when the weight transfer reduces grip and causes front wheel spin, which greatly increases the chances of rear wheel spin.

If the locker is supposed to prevent 4WD from becoming 2WD, considering that I _have_ 2wd, what would that prevent? No wheel drive? (Sarcastic lol)

Is there anything besides my stock LS which can improve traction? Or do I just have to drive aggressively and pack some of my boys for weight/pushing power and a winch for the known eventuality of getting stuck?

From what i've read, don't put in a front locker unless you can disengage it manually/electronically for road use ... having a locker like the powertrax up front will make your turning radius about the size of Florida ;) ....