Pre/Post timing chain issues of early Gen1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In these old trucks, it is good to worry about the “frozen nuts and bolts”, and use plenty of PB Blaster etc. My additional concern on the 2001 Gen 1 Job 1 engine that I have, is the plastic upper intake manifold- the one that looks like a pretzel. It attaches to the lower plastic intake manifold with eight glorified wood screws. The screws can tend to make new threads during each assembly process and eventually can strip out. I have two screws that are stripped at this point. I add a bit of hot melt glue to tighten up the threads. The risk here is a vacuum leak of course - so I always replace this gasket to give me a good fighting chance. The torque spec for these fasteners is in inch-pounds, so it is easy to over torque. I am sure that it would be very difficult to get a replacement lower intake manifold for this truck, but have not looked.

Ideal solution would be to install threaded metal inserts on the lower intake manifold. “Some day, Jennifer”. (BTTF movie reference).

Coming in late on this conversation.
I have an early model 2002. This is the first time I've heard of any possible timing chain tensioner issues. The Scheduled Maintenance Guide doesn't mention them at all, either to check or replace. It stops at 150,000 miles, which is where I am. Should I wait until I start having symptoms, or should I proactively have them replaced?

My understanding is ford used a cheap part and by the time they became a major issue they changed suppliers and it would of not been a recall, or not mentioned in any manuals, i am still rocking the original part from my 04 i got new but only have 52k on her. i would listen and take note from the people on here as some real owners with incredible knowledge and even tho my thermostat housing has no issues i am replacing as soon as it gets nice out from feedback on here about the plastic housing.

...late on this conversation.
...have an early model 2002
...first time I've heard of any possible timing chain tensioner issues
...Guide doesn't mention them...stops at 150,000 miles, which is where I am
...Should I wait until I start having symptoms, or should I proactively have them replaced?
OwnerManuals don't mention a lot of issues;
theyre written when vehicles are new for people who don't open Hoods or change their own FlatTires;
even if design\quality problems were known at that time, they generally don't openly admit to them.
It's your vehicle, so its your judgement call & money.
At 150kMiles, I would sure be changing them, along with swapping TStatHousing to Aluminum.
If any fluid (Diffs, TCase, Brakes, Steering, Coolant...) is original, now is the time, despite Ford claims of "LifeTimeFluids".
If 5r55e Trans never had a service (PanDrop + ValveBodyBoltRetorq + NewFilter + NewPanGasket + New5~7qtMerconV + BandAdjust), now is the time.
If Plugs+Wires+OxSensors+PCVValve+ Hoses+HeaterValve+Radiator+Belt+BeltTensioner+Fan+FanClutch
are original, now is the time.

OwnerManuals don't mention a lot of issues;
theyre written when vehicles are new for people who don't open Hoods or change their own FlatTires;
even if design\quality problems were known at that time, they generally don't openly admit to them.
It's your vehicle, so its your judgement call & money.
At 150kMiles, I would sure be changing them, along with swapping TStatHousing to Aluminum.
If any fluid (Diffs, TCase, Brakes, Steering, Coolant...) is original, now is the time, despite Ford claims of "LifeTimeFluids".
If 5r55e Trans never had a service (PanDrop + ValveBodyBoltRetorq + NewFilter + NewPanGasket + New5~7qtMerconV + BandAdjust), now is the time.
If Plugs+Wires+OxSensors+PCVValve+ Hoses+HeaterValve+Radiator+Belt+BeltTensioner+Fan+FanClutch
are original, now is the time.
Over the years, I've pretty much done all of that, however, timing chain tensioners were never on my radar screen, until now. Thanks to this discussion, they will be included in my upcoming 150k service.
Thanks!

Your routine Oil+Filter changes are likely what has kept them working.
I've concluded these OilPresurized Tensioners get sludged up & crusty,
then stop keeping pressure on the Guides.

My understanding is ford used a cheap part and by the time they became a major issue they changed suppliers and it would of not been a recall, or not mentioned in any manuals, i am still rocking the original part from my 04 i got new but only have 52k on her. i would listen and take note from the people on here as some real owners with incredible knowledge and even tho my thermostat housing has no issues i am replacing as soon as it gets nice out from feedback on here about the plastic housing.
My 2004 has 207000 miles on it now, and I knew the previous owner and they have never been done. Not a bit of noise but oil has never gone past 3500 miles between changes. Took valve covers off recently it looked like a 10000 mile engine

My 2004 has 207000 miles on it now, and I knew the previous owner and they have never been done. Not a bit of noise but oil has never gone past 3500 miles between changes. Took valve covers off recently it looked like a 10000 mile engine
I routinely change my oil with full synthetic 5W30 every 7000 miles. It's tempting to wait until I hear chain chatter before dealing with this, but I hate to roll the dice when the timing chain is involved.

I routinely change my oil with full synthetic 5W30 every 7000 miles. It's tempting to wait until I hear chain chatter before dealing with this, but I hate to roll the dice when the timing chain is involved.
True, I just changed my valve cover gaskets, and might do these this summer. But this is only used in the winter and sits all spring and summer, mustang time.

Latest posts