Pressing exhaust Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
A while back I received a free FlowMaster Super 44 muffler. There are sound clips on here of the "40 series" flowmaster, but the super 44 is supposed to blow them away, and have no comparison to them--no relation except for being in the 40s.

So now I'm looking to install the muffler on something...and my trac comes to mind. The trac is my only drivable vehicle, and I'm more of a pedant than a pro when it comes to metalwork, so I realized that I'd have to get someone to install my 3" straight through muffler. Now, there are the real gains in performance, and the perceived gains in performance from the "manly rumble", but I don't really care if I don't gain anything in the mpg realm (though I'd like to)--I just need to get the muffler on something. It's taking up precious space under my bed.

Now, the 40 is supposed to be "edgy", and the 50 is supposed to be "mellow", and the 44 is supposed to combine those 2, while having "manly" sounds and being the "Muffler for the Outlaw Generation" (I guess that's me).

Before I pay to have this put on though, I need to know if the muffler will be a cool, low manly rumble, or the annoying "resonate the whole block, vibrate anything in the cabin to death" annoyance that some mufflers turn out to be. The stock muffler sounds wussy--when I accelerate down my street my ride sounds like a corny Space Mountain sound effect. However, too loud and I can't put it on...but there's only one way to find out, and it's sort of a one-way street.

If I don't get anything done with this muffler, the only thing I can think of will be to sell it to the kid in my neighborhood who got a crotch rocket for Christmas...the thing is so pitiful that I have to use the wussiest name I know for it, and the thing sounds like a Fast and the Furious Civic and an electric weedwhacker had a kid...it needs something.

You may want to go to your local muffler shop and find out how much they will charge to install the muffler. Most places don't charge a whole lot to weld on the muffler. They make their money from the muffler/custom set ups. It my be worth the cost just to hear it on your Trac. Some places will try different set ups ( dump under the bed/Run out the back) until your happy with the sound. I have a V-8 w/40 that dumps under the bed. I like the rumble.

Straight pipes with too large of tubing will loose alot of torque. Especialy if you use 3".

Considering that FM no longer makes the original 40 series and after looking at the website it appears that the super is probably going to be on par with the original 40 series. I can't imagine they perform any differently and if you look at <a href="http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html"target=top>this chart</a> the super 44 is going to be pretty loud outside and inside the cab. My guess is they will sound identical.

The 40 was phased out in favor of the delta 40, the big plus to the D40 was less interior noise, seeing as it's barely been two years since the 40 was discontinued and now they come up with the S-44, I'd bet that with minor appearance changes it's the same as the 40.

Yeah I'm on board with what everyone else has been saying... I believe the 44 and 40 are going to be pretty similar. if you do install the 44 make some clips! :)