prob with ST. could it be alternator?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
Left my truck outside last night. usually i keep it inside in my garage. anyways went to start it this morning and it started fine but there was alot of noise. like high pitch chirps from the front. ran it for awhile and it went away. however my battery indicator in the dashboard was at the bottom and not in the middle where it usually is. coudl this be my alternator?

thx for your help

patrick pierobon

edit. Will this be covered under extended warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would change the belt first. It sounds like the belt is slipping, causing your alternator to not charge properly.

Just my educated guess. Do you have a big stereo or anything like that?

Tom

Not sure of the temps where you are, but, if it was chilly or damp out you were hearing the alternator. As Cayman noted, the belt probably needs changed anyways as they "harden" and loose their ability to spin the alternator under a heavy electrical load.

There is a TSB to replace the alternator, Ford will install yours with a higher amperage alternator that comes off the same year 4 Door Explorer. I had mine done and the problem was solved.

If you are in a cold environment, you will find that your power steering pump will also be an issue. You will notice this it very low speeds like in a parking lot where your driving at an idle. There is a TSB on this as well and once again, they replace it with a higher output pump so that you get more PSI at engine idle...

Belt or idler pulley....

Todd Z

Personally I would not replace anything until your battery and charging system are checked.

You can do this with an inexpensive multi-meter, or you can simply go to AutoZone and let them test your battery and charging system (free). If both check0out OK, then look at replacing the belt if it looks worn.

I don't know how many miles you have on your 2003 ST, but rubber parts like belts and hoses are prone to deteriorate with age rather than mileage. Most belts and hoses should be replaced in 3-5 years even if they don't look bad.

...Rich

My ST did the same thing (chirp) when it was left outside and the nights got a little damp, but I did not have any battery issues. It turned out to be what ToddZ pointed out - idler pulley.... I ran for a few years with the intermittent chirp, and finally this spring I told my mechanic to just fix it. NO issues since.

Dan