Problem on start up... HELP!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Gleason

Reaction score
I need some help with a problem that has just started in the past week or so. Frequently when I start my Trac the fuel gauge doesn't register and the tachometer needle just vibrates down below zero. Also, the trip meter resets to zero. After a couple of minutes of this or sometimes if I shut down and restart everything is back to normal. I have shut off the engine and removed the key while this is going on and the tach needle still continues to vibrate. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? It's got me stumped!! Thanks for any help!!

Ditto on the battery. My trac started doing weird electrical things. The battery was turning the motor over ok. The battery was bad though. Have it checked. Also loose or dirty battery connections will do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I wonder if it could be the battery??? :rolleyes: DUH. Thanks everyone. I know the connections are good and also clean because I check frequently. I drive about 100 miles a day. The battery is still under warranty, I pulled out the receipt last night. I think I'll just pull it and go get another one.

It's the battery for sure. My wife had the same thing happen to her 01 Explorer. Another symptom was the alarm would just go off while driving.

We changed the battery and all was back to normal.

It's the battery for sure. My wife had the same thing happen to her 01 Explorer. Another symptom was the alarm would just go off while driving.

We changed the battery and all was back to normal.

Before changing out the battery, try disconnecting it and resetting the computer as the manual reccomends. This might clear up some problems.