Problem with a 92 Mustang

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
My roommate's '92 Mustang has recently developed a shake in the engine. It goes away if we let it warm up for 5min. It's extremely violent and only started happening recently. I figured it was bad gas and we poured in a bottle of Seafoam, changed the fuel filter, and it got better for a few days. It started doing it again this morning. The car has new plugs and wires (10k or so) and regular oil changes, but that's it as far as maintenance.

Any thoughts before he takes it to a mechanic?

5.0 Stangs were known for Intake manifold gaskets going bad too...

A vacuum leak is the most common COLD engine problem, then it runs fine once warmed up....

Todd Z

Check the compression...

Todd Z

2.3?

cracked head maybe, if it was a 5.0 or 4.6 i could help ya, but real stangs arent supposed to come with 4 bangers..unless its a Turbo.

and having owned several mustangs, ive never heard of a intake gasket going bad unless its on forced induction car..you sure you aren't thinking of 87-95 Chevy 5.7 v8's?

looks like you found your answer..... my daughters did the same thing and it was the MAF Sensor. Of course it coincided with me replacing plugs and wires, so that got done twice and then I had to pay for diagnostics and the sensor.

but real stangs arent supposed to come with 4 bangers

I must agree, but with an 18yo daughter, the insurance is definately better and I don't have to worry near as much. She likes the look and I like the financial gain. Not to mention almost 30 mpg highway and 20's in town.

Last edited by a moderator: