Problem with Cruise Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funk Apotamus

Reaction score
My Cruise Control recently started working intermittently. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes the cruise lamp indicator blinks once and goes off (along with the cruise function), and other times it doesn't work at all.

This seems to me like it could be a wiring issue in the steering column. I know a bit about slip rings but I don't know how complicated this could get. Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably, I would like to know exactly which wire to look for before I dive in.

Thanks!

Fairly common issue with the Trac.

First, there is a known wire issue within the column of the Trac, if you tile the wheel to a different location and it then works properly, it is a matter of opening the plastic up, pulling the wires up to get some slack in it, wire tie it and put it back together.

If the column tilt is not the issue, then it is probably the switch on the master cylinder. It is also a known issue and in fact is part of a TSB/Recall issue in some cases due to the potential fire issue.

Super cheap and easy to fix. I think the replacement switch is like $15.00

Latest posts