problems with cd playing beyond track 5

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends. Does the cd have more tracks than 5? Just kidding, Little more info on whats going on. Is it happening on more than one cd or is it one cd? Recorded or bought cd.;)

I've experienced it on 2 separate cd's that I burned. They play fine in our escape (same radio). Tracks 1 through 4 play fine, track 5 starts, then stops, skips, gets all screwed up. I scanned to track 8 and it played fine for a minute, then did the same thing. Tried the first tracks 1 through 4 again and they played fine. 2 separate cd's. I'll try some others tonight.

--Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
What program are you using to burn with? Also, how old is the cd player? the reason I ask is because I had the same problem with my old Toyota (aftermarket radio, played CD-r's with no problem) and my wifes old '98 Jeep GC (stock radio, wouldn't play the CD-r's that worked fine in mine). What I had to do was actually burn the ones I wanted to play in hers at a lower kbps. Her's would play any that I burnt at less than 256kbps. (192 or 128) Stupid huh. Played fine anytime i did it that way. I could get some of the ones to play that were above 256kbps but they would do just like you said. Try burning one at a lesser kbps and see if it works. Most CD's that you buy from the store are 192kbps.;)

Bob, that should play. My 2003 will play anything I put in except mp3 style discs. I burn all of mine at 320kbps. Being that its a 2004, here is one problem that I did have with mine. I used a "regular" CD-R disc (The ones you get cheap at Wallyworld) and about half way through the disc the music would actually start to sound like it was being played on a record player. It would actually have that "static" scratchy sound behind the music. I went to using CD-R Music discs and it went away. The ones I get are Maxell's, they come in 20 packs with slimline cases for $10 at Wallyworld. Since then no problems. Now that I think of it, some of my discs would actually stop playing and if I turned off the radio and turned it back on it would play again but quit again later on. Try using different discs first. I bet that is the problem.;)

Try burning at the slowest speed possible, usually 4x. It makes for a better burn and easier for those cheap lasers to read...:wacko: