Problems with driver side door

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Swanson

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST (Job 2) and I've been having issues with my driver side door. It won't automatically lock the door when I start driving, using the fob the knob won't drop, and the door doesn't quite close completely unless I push it from a specific part of the door. A few years ago, I heard, while driving, a loud thunk from inside said door. I have not looked inside the door yet, as I'm really not sure if I want to go in there yet or have a mechanic from the dealer who knows what he's doing fix it. She has other issues, but they're easy fixes. Any good info is appreciated.

I would recommend watching a youtube video on how to remove the door, it can be accomplished by yourself in a short amount of time and won't scratch your paint if you use a towel or rag. I just popped off my panels week before last to replace a broken door handle so I do recommend being patient, if they have never been taken off they will not want to come off lol

Try watching this video, and if you feel confident enough, go ahead and take a look. It will save you some money, you'll be able to ask here again with more details..

And I am interested as I cannot get the fob to drop the knob:banghead:, though it does lock automatically.

Cheers, James :supercool:

Here's some OEM quality "Christmas Tree" door panel clips if you need them. Beats paying $1 each at the dealer or buying a Dorman/Help "assortment" pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get a feel for what may be the problem before I open up the inside of the door. I'm not supposed to work on my vehicle in the apartment complex parking lot. And that inside seal looks like it will need replacing, at least on my ST, after I peel it off. So knowing what to look for would be highly useful. I'm sure someone here has had this problem at some point. Thanks.

A few years ago, I heard, while driving, a loud thunk from inside said door.

Chances are the loud "thunk" you heard was the actuator rivet pulling through the doors sheet metal.

Remove the panel to inspect. Search "actuator rivet" here and on Explorer Forum, VERY common failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts