Programming blank key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berf

Reaction score
Is there a tool available you can buy so you can program a new key to your Sport Trac without having to take it to the dealership?

I have a Gen two and I believe that, if you have two keys, you can program another key using your vehicle. I did that when I first bought my truck new with advice from a great member (LaRue) who was a locksmith! If you only have one key, I believe you have to have a dealer program the new key!!

I have a Gen two and I believe that, if you have two keys, you can program another key using your vehicle. I did that when I first bought my truck new with advice from a great member (LaRue) who was a locksmith! If you only have one key, I believe you have to have a dealer program the new key!!

Does anyone know the procedure for doing this?

you MUST have 2 working keys.... then you can do yourself.... If you don't a locksmith, or Forscan, or Dealer must do it.. Homedepot and Lowes used to take a chip key and "copy" the key and chip and you could use that since it was the same frequency.

Like Todd said-2 keys required. Even Walmart programs keys but you’d have to take a working key in to find out.

Are you gentleman saying that if you have one working key, and you take it to Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart, when they cut the key they can program it to the right code also? If so, that is GREAT news. Are you guys sure?

I’d call beforehand and ask to avoid wasting time. First they’d have to have the correct key blank. Second they’d have to have the ability to program it. Any decent locksmith will be able to do it, but call and ask first. A locksmith will cost more is the only thing, but it’s more of a sure thing.

Last edited:
Yeah back in the old days we had LaRue to answer all these type of questions! He's one guy on the Forum that I really miss. A truly good hearted person. I hope that Rose is doing well! I just sent an email to Rose in hopes she will still receive a PM notification. I let her know that she and LaRue are still remembered for the good things they did for us Sport Trac owners back in the day!

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look up Forscan, that sounds like what I'm looking for. With only one working key, I can't program it myself.

Thanks for posting the cloning information. I may go that route.

Latest posts