Puddle in the garage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Woke up to the EMS pager. When I got home from the call, I opened the garage door and... green puddle. Maybe 2 cups worth. Pop the hood. Couldn't see anything that jumped out at me. Thermostat housing looked dry, but I couldn't dig into it because I was on EMS duty. I took it to my favorite honest shop. Awaiting their call.

I can't complain. It's the first unscheduled maintenance issue that couldn't wait in 123,000 miles.

Shop called. Lower thermostat housing leaking. They'll replace the whole thing. Bottom line is $640 including flush and fill and guarantee labor for a year.

VERY steep Mark, considering OEM parts and coolant shouldn't exceed $150 at retail pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
$640 toooo much...

Flush and fill should be part of the job anyway. Sounds like they are doubling the labor time....

Actual book time is 2.9 hours and cost on the housings is about $80. So if the labor rate is $100/hr and the shop marks up the parts to $200 there is $500 already. Figure roughly $69 for a coolant flush and then the price of coolant plus a new thermostat and taxes and fees and $640 is probably in the ball park. Of course this all depends on where you live. Here in Phoenix that price would be in the ballpark but probably way off base in the Upper Peninsula of MI.

Latest posts