Pump for front differential

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
Ok got my supension stuff done (may still do rear sway bar end links at some point) now moving onto fluid changes, transfer case, tranny, front diff. Anyone have a suggestion for a good fluid pump for the front diff. If could have the shop do it for $50 but if I can buy a pump of the same or less I would rather do it myself. Did a search here and also on Amazon and other sites and all of them get mixed reviews at best. I have tried one of the hand pump ones that didn't work well at all was thinking maybe a 12v one. Any thoughts. Also notices when doing my control arm that there was significant leakage or overflow from the front diff vent not sure why though never had any problems other than a seeping pinion seal.

I tried that already. Just spend the $50 at the shop. You only need to do it every 50k or so anyway unless you off-road and drive it underwater. A pump that will actually work will cost MUCH more.

I just use a old hand pump from a soap dispenser, I have some pieces of hose I clamp on the end to reach the bottom of a gearlube bottle, and a hose clamped to the nozzle end that reaches into the diff.

But $50 is cheap.

The closet quicky lube type place is about two hours from me that may be what I end up doing, I check with two shops that I have other things done at and they wanted $70 to $75 for it. I picked up a fluid transfer hand pump at VIP auto that is "Penzoil" brand but similar to several other kinds I saw online. It was only $8 so I'm going to try that first, It would be easier to just take it somewhere I guess but when I can buy tools to do something myself and then have that tool to do it again I like to take that route.

I have no trouble getting fluid back in the diff I have one of the hand pumps that fit right onto the gear lube bottle and it works great, but so far trying to use that one or just a siphon type thing did not get much lube out of the diff, I'm in hopes the new one will work if not I'll just say the heck with it and go to a quick lube place next time I'm in the "big city" lol. My dad suggested I look for a 12v powered fluid pump at a marine supply store.

That is almost exactly like the one I got. It appears to me that the same thing is marketed under several brands. This is the one I got but several of them look exactly the same. I wont get around to trying it for a while but I'll report back.