question about roof racks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i took the roof racks off my truck...but i noticed when i took them off that there were some washers on top of the holes that the screw came out of....i was wondering how do i get these off. are they glued on or is it just that they are rusted on or something..if anyone has any info on what to do with this problem please let me know.

That is the integrated "pop" rivet nut you're looking at. It doesn't come out. Well, you could grind it out, but you would be left with big holes. I installed black plugs from the auto store in mine when I took the useless rails off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are not washers. They are threaded inserts, installed somewhat like a rivet. If you remove them you will have a lot of work to fill the 12 holes and repaint the roof. The simplest option is to reinstall the screws with a dab of silicone sealant on the threads. Matching paint on the screw heads and exposed portion of the inserts might be nice, but not necessary.

Latest posts