Question about snaps on tonneau

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Vincent

Reaction score
When I bought my truck a few of the snaps on my soft tonneau were broken. The other day I went to take the tonneau off I pulled a bunch more off (probably from the extreme cold). Anyway is there an easy way to DIY fix this? Where can I find snaps?

Figured I would ask here before I ventured out into the cold.

Thanks,

Peter

Which snaps? The ones from the cover itself or from the rails? The ones from the rails you can get from anyplace that sells the covers. If they are from the cover itself, it would be best to replace the whole cover. (get from the same place) Of course they may have replacements for them also, but you may have a dryrot problem with the cover.;)

I looked for one online and couldn't find it a while back. Although I only looked for like thirty minutes one day .. lol . . If you find them, let me know where cuz I could use some too.

Here is a site that sells what looks to be the ones that goes on the rails but there are different sizes. They also sell ones that would probably go through the cover. If it's an Extang, contact them from thier site. They will send you replacements. If it's not Extang, then go to the maker's site and see what they will do for you.;)

Go to your local sewing shop like JoAnn's Fabrics, etc and they have a very large selection of buttons and snaps. You can often find the heavy duty snaps like, or similar to the snaps on your tonneau cover. You will also need a snap setting tool, but they are only a few dollars for the hammer on metal snap setter kits. They do make a squeeze plyer style but they don't work as well on the heavy duty snaps and don't usually have the larger tips to fit those snaps.

You might want to look at replacing all the snaps and installing velcro strips instead. They work a lot better than the old snaps and you never have to worry about snaps ripping out or breaking.

...Rich