Question about the IAC valve

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Cottone

Reaction score
I have a Job 1 Gen 1 sport trac and I noticed it has a little bit of a rough idle. So after searching on this great board, I figured I would start by cleaning the IAC valve. I took it out and cleaned it with no improvement to the idle. There were two things I noticed when I took it off that kind of puzzled me.

1- The IAC valve looked a lot different then the one I saw in the pictures on the how to. The outside body looked the same, but the plunger assembly look noticeably different inside. I figured they must of updated this along the way.

2- This is my biggest question: Before and after cleaning the plunger, it would never make a complete seat. It would be close, but I could take a q-tip and push it up a little more. Should the plunger inside be in a full closed position before and after cleaning? If so, where could I buy one for a reasonable price? Are they alot of money?

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my questions in the past. This is a great site and I have fixed a few things because of it. Any help on this thread would greatly be appreciated.

Steve

The "park" position of the IAC is slightly open.. it adjusts at the truck is starting , idling, Etc..

Todd Z

Ditto on being slightly open in the park position.

Here is an article on how to test it. see link

I was just cleaning mine and was about to post a question when I saw Scottone's question. Mine, on the other hand, is completely closed. Could mine be bad because it ISN"T partially open? Thanks!

Latest posts