Question for those who have changed your front hubs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
When you changed your front hubs, did the bad hub you removed feel different than the new hub? Meaning was there play/wobble/etc?

Also what made you think it was bad?

I am putting as list together of things I may need to replace on my ST before my trip to Moab,UT in May.. Plus I am getting a high pitch squelling noise from my front driver wheel.. And the mileage is getting up there too..

Thanks,

Chad

Bearings make a grinding or a humming that changes with speed.... Not a squeel.....

Todd Z

I had the same noise coming from my front hub I pulled the wheel and you could rock the hub back and forth and when I turned it, it was hesitant to turn and then would kind of ratchet if that makes sense. It didnt turn smoothly. But yes there was play in it, and it squeeled, Loud

i had to replace both left and right side. they squealed first and then were grinding as i drove on them until i had time to replace them. left side at 90k and the other at 100k. after you take them off you will be able to really tell just by turning the hub in you hands. not a hard job to replace, just need a good torgue wrench and breaker bar. tom.

re: Question for those who have changed your front hubs by Ian,1/15/2008 14:24 CT

I had the same noise coming from my front hub I pulled the wheel and you could rock the hub back and forth and when I turned it, it was hesitant to turn and then would kind of ratchet if that makes sense. It didnt turn smoothly. But yes there was play in it, and it squeeled, Loud

re: Question for those who have changed your front hubs by tom,1/16/2008 11:51 CT

i had to replace both left and right side. they squealed first and then were grinding as i drove on them until i had time to replace them. left side at 90k and the other at 100k. after you take them off you will be able to really tell just by turning the hub in you hands. not a hard job to replace, just need a good torgue wrench and breaker bar. tom.

re: Question for those who have changed your front hubs by JohnnyO,1/16/2008 15:05 CT

Mine made a grinding noise and when I jacked it up I could wiggle the wheel.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

Chad

Last edited by a moderator: