questions about a recent snowfall

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
Well first one of the year! first time i drove the trac in snow . How fast would anyone recommend driving in four wheel hi? and is it common for all the extra noise coming from the front ? Nothing really bad i could just tell there was extra stuff working up there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually when I'm in 4wd there's a reason for it so I usually don't go above 55mph, not cause you can't go faster, its the road conditions and stopping that prevent me from going faster.

As was stated above the four wheel drive lets you get moving better in slick conditions but does not do anything when you need to stop. When trying to determin how fast you should go think about having to stop in the conditions you are in.

I drive the same speed in 4x4 that I would without it. Yes, 4x4 helps you go through it but doesn't do jack when it comes to stopping. Just knowing that I have the extra traction in 4 wheel drive helps me feel less stressed out when driving in a storm and that helps me concentrate on defensive driving.

There was a time when I was younger and less experianced where I would drive 65-70mph in 4-h on snow covered roads. I never went of the road while in 4x4 in anything I've ever driven.

4 wheel drive about 45 mph. four wheel drive equals four wheel slide! i just use it to prevent fishtailing and getting turned around . is the extra noise usual on these trucks? my old suburban didnt make this much noise but a totally different truck just wondering does any body notice the extra noise ?

J.vocaty

I hear a bunch of noise when I switch into 4hi. Nothing to worry about as I haven't had any problems to date (knock on wood).

My '07 makes a very loud "CLANG" when it slams into 4WD. Still works OK, except for axle housing (pan) leak that the dealer can't seem to fix.

My '07 makes a very loud "CLANG" when it slams into 4WD. Still works OK, except for axle housing (pan) leak that the dealer can't seem to fix.

Just be careful on snow & ice when in 4WD....if you're accelerating too much and trying to turn, the truck may just go straight. If you're turning into a street, that might just be the oncoming lane or a ditch.

Gary

j.vocaty, you will hear some noise while in 4wd, if it excessive and it makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, have it checked out, better to be safe than sorry.

Like Shaun said, it's a normal noise noticed it in the F150 too.

Please remember, all, during this snowey season 4 WD does not mean 4 W Stop. It does nothing as most of you know for stopping. It only gives you a little better grip/traction, when driving on snow packed roads.

So please be careful and don't think you can own the road in 4 w d and stay away from those slushy edges of the road. I have now seen 3 vehicles on our road that went too fast for the conditions that have spun out off the road because of this. So be careful where ever you live and and have to drive in snow/ice and slush.

I feel very lucky that after having not driven in snow or icy roads in 10 yrs the experience is still in tact and I've made it to work (having to be at work at midnight and then home the next morning) YEA ME! MY 2 W D does great! Even if it is a white out and can't see 3 ft past the front of my truck.

I did drive Ford guys 4 W D F150 and sure did notice a big difference in handling while driving on the stuff.

xxxxx However, I am still going to keep my fingers crossed for the rest of this winter :lol:

thanks for the noise issue im glad im not the only one who hears it just wondering didnt sound bad just noisy! and if this turns into a political thread i agree with todd z lets leave it alone it has gotten out of control and i am part to blame! for that part i wont speak politics on this site anymore only about Frank/frank love ya man!

I'm not sure why folks are saying that 4wd does not help you stop. If you use engine braking by either downshifting in the few STs that have manual trannies or pulling it back into 2 or 1 with an auto, 4wd spreads that engine braking force over a larger surface area (front and rear axles) and certainly does help you slow down and stop better in slick or dry conditions. For this reason, I leave my vehicles in 4 hi or 4 low (if slope and/or conditions warrant it) when decending a steep off-road incline.

I agree that under engine braking(hills and such) 4x4 gives you an advantage....I'm not convinced that, when emergency braking on ice and snow at 70mph on the highway, that 4x4 advantage will be so obvious. With todays ABS, you still only have the same four wheels stoping you.

You will have a bit of a roar, hum or vibration when in 4x4 that will probably increase with speed. Remember that if you start going down the road on snow packed or slick road in 4x4 and the road clears up (Paved roads or higher traction roads), you should take your 4x4 off. It is not recomended to drive excessively with your rig in 4x4 on high traction roads unless it is an AWD or has an "Auto 4x4" option that will detect when auto 4x4 kicks in.